o-ring choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finflipper49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I have a (like new) used BCD inflater hose I want to attach to my 1st stage. The o-ring looks perfect but I would like to have new to be safe. My question is, can I use an o-ring from the hardware store that looks to be the exact size? I understand the o-rings in the regulators themselves have to be a certain type of material but does that include the hoses? Does anyone know what type of material these would be made of? Thanks for any input.

If it looks perfect, I don't understand why you want to change it. That is a static o-ring and usually lasts many years with no problem. You could try a HW store o-ring in a pinch but with unknown material, hardness, and lineage; I doubt if it is any safer than a used o-ring that is in good shape.

The worst thing that's likely to happen is that the o-ring would blow when you pressurize the regulator; it's much more rare that hose o-rings go while underwater. If it's like most LP hose o-rings, it's a size 010 nitrile or EPDM, 70 duro hardness. Viton is fine too, but it's more expensive. It's not a bad idea to get a few of them to keep in your save-a-dive kit. If it makes you feel better, change it.

Most of the inexpensive save a dive kits have both hose sizes and some others as well. Not the least expensive way to buy orings but not too bad since you only need a few. I'm with awap, I prefer a know older one than an unknown one but as orings go, hose orings, esp LP hose are very forgiving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom