Fort Lauderdale/Key Largo request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirkwt

Registered
Reaction score
Work is sending me down to Fort Lauderdale for a week. Have a free day off the Saturday before I head back home. Thinking about driving down to Key Largo to dive. Would appreciate any suggestions as to dive operations to look in to .

Thanks,

Kirk

I would suggest driving into the keys Friday night, and when I say night, I mean night.. Traffic around Miami is nuts

I have only used Pirate Island Divers in Key largo and had a great time with them

Conch Republic, Silent World or Quiescence are who I've used: all are great shops. I really like diving in Key Largo and Islamorada and try to make a couple of trips each year.

BTW: the diving off of Ft Lauderdale and Pompano is quite good too. I just did 4 dives in Pompano two weeks ago: we dove the Rodeo 25 at 112 feet and the Nursery reef at 25 feet along with two other dives. There's a lot of decent diving in the area and I think the Nursery is one the best shallow reef dives I've ever experienced. I've used South Florida Dive HQ, Pompano Dive Center and Scubatyme. Gold Coast Scuba is also a great shop in LBTS.

I dove with Conch Republic last month. They were excellent! I'll be using them again in a couple of months from now.

I live and work in the Keys because of the awesome diving and would love to have you come dive with us. There are many very good dive ops in the Keys to choose from (big boats, small boats, techies, hunters, training, advanced diving, new divers, w/ or w/o guides, etc.), each has it's own personality and focus, so read up here on SB for more info, then call the dive ops for a nice chat to get a feel to see if they are a good match for your expectations & abilities. Here is a directory of Keys Ops: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/362149-florida-keys-guide.html

But I agree with sportxlh that the diving in Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano, Boynton Beach, & WPB are awesome. I used to teach in this area.
In Ft. Lauderdale, I been pleased with Sea Xperience. BTW the shore diving in Ft. Lauderdale (Lauderdale by the Sea, commercial Blvd, etc.) is quite good and you can probably find a local Scubaboarder to show you around.
In Boynton Beach, Underwater Explorers run/owned by ScubaKevDM . They are awesome and a favorite of many Scubaboarders.
Further north in WPB area is the Blue Heron Bridge and lots of great dive charter boat ops who are mentioned often in the FL Conchs forum.

What you will discover is that there isn't enough time to do all the South FL and Keys dives you'd like to do, so come back often!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom