How to spend the day in Makassar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqualls

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be spending a day in Makassar enroute to Raja Ampat late September. Any suggestions on how to spend the day?

I presume you're traveling from North America? If it were me, I'd just want to play it by ear and get over travel fatigue/jet lag rather than making firm plans/commitments to tours or tour guides. IJS. There's a Dutch colonial fort there you can visit on your own, if you get bored (just take a "becak" trishaw/taxi to it): Fort Rotterdam. Lots of school kids are around there on field trips, so if you go there, you might get "interviewed" by some kid for an English-class project, or you might be asked to be in countless photographs (you become the tourist attraction, LOL).

Last year I was in Makassar for a day as well. I was travelling to Tana Toraja, central-south Sulawesi. My (personal opinion) advice, just take it easy and don't do too much. To me the city was very unattractive. I tried to find the hidden beauty of it, but I could'nt find it. Off course, a day is too short too really form an opinion, but Makassar is definitely not the town to see some quik high-lights in one day. Your best shot will be indeed, as mentioned earlier, Fort Rotterdam. But if I were you, just relax and get over your jet lag!

Roy

Last year I was in Makassar for a day as well. I was travelling to Tana Toraja, central-south Sulawesi. My (personal opinion) advice, just take it easy and don't do too much. To me the city was very unattractive. I tried to find the hidden beauty of it, but I could'nt find it. Off course, a day is too short too really form an opinion, but Makassar is definitely not the town to see some quik high-lights in one day. Your best shot will be indeed, as mentioned earlier, Fort Rotterdam. But if I were you, just relax and get over your jet lag!

Want to throw in another idea. Have to agree with Roy that the city itself was unattractive. However, if you are a foodie and can tolerate spicy food, the city in my opinion is a good one to satisfy your taste bud. Check the Wikitravel page for Makassar for places to go:

Makassar travel guide - Wikitravel

On my way back from Raja Ampat, I had some grilled sweetlip (locally called kaneke) there, very fresh and good.

Roy

Toraja is amazing
We spent 3 days in Toraja only last year.
I don't think you can visit toraja in one day, unless you have extra energy.
Depend on traffic, it will take 6-8 hours one way. Bus may take a bit longer.
Typical toraja trip package is 3D/2N or 4D/3N.

Thanks to all for the input.
We'll probably not need to rest because we will spend two nights in Bali before Makassar. The fort sounds interesting.. but I'd like to see some of the Toraja style structures---How far out of Makassar before the Toraja style structures can be seen. Do we have to travel the full 8 hrs. before we can see them? If so, then well just have to spend some time at the fort and checking out the Phinisi docks.

If it's the architecture per se that you want to see--just the structures--you'll find some near Maksassar at Somba Opu. There's an open air museum there (as well as the ruins of an old fort) that you can visit.

As marcia said, you'll see the look "similar" architectur in Somba Opu. However, it's not comparable - Toraja, is not just "Tongkonan" their traditional house - it's about land, stone, people, cultures, way of death and life.
If you can, I recommend to spend minimum 1 full day in Toraja (excl. travel time).
Dodo the penman as mentioned by rust is nice person if you want to have good private car and driver (not for guide, you have to use local guide in Toraja)

Anyway, here few of Toraja architecture we took last year:

Toraja_tongkonan_3.jpg

tongkoma_tedong.jpg

kuburan_batu_2.jpg

and newly occupied apartment - not cheap to have it

kuburan_batu.jpg

Thanks for the info. Time constraints will keep us from going all the way to Toraja, but Somba Opu sounds like a nice place to check out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom