Malibu fun dive next Friday after work (June 8)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We've been talking about a Friday fun dive after work somewhere in Malibu, but somehow we don't seem to pull it off. Last night Malibu Divers hosted a fun dive in the early evening, and it was a blast. My wife even went out for a night time beach dive! We had 12-16 ft viz, ankle-height waves and plenty of little critters to see. Anyone - LeeAnne or others who have threatened to go - want to try again for this coming Friday if conditions look OK?

YES! Yeah, I kinda dropped the ball on those Fri night Malibu dives - real life intervened (kid drama, sick mother-in-law, stuff like that). But this coming weekend actually looks good for me! So...howzabout Broad Beach? Or do you have another spot in mind?

I'll bake cookies.... :D

... this coming weekend actually looks good for me! So...howzabout Broad Beach? Or do you have another spot in mind?

I'll bake cookies.... :D
Broad Beach sounds good to me, and so does après-dive cookies! I haven't dived at Broad Beach before (although a friend has raved about the location for over a decade), so if you're familiar with the dive site it sounds good to me

---------- Post added ----------

I'll keep an eye on conditions and report back during the week

I haven't been there in over a year, but I've probably got 40+ dives there. So unless the reefs have moved, I can probably find them. :)

Anyone want to join us? COOKIES! :D

The predicted south swell has started, with surfers lining up and parking on my street getting busier. This morning it looked like nice long waves rolling in - great for surfing, not so good for shore dives :(

I'll post updates during the week and we can see what happens. Worst case scenario is we eat cookies and watch the waves

LOL well, when you put it that way, eating cookies and watching waves doesn't sound so bad, does it? Maybe it'll flatten out by Friday. I'm still up for it.

I would like to join eventually! That said, the Peace boat tomorrow and then camping with my family starting Friday. Thanks for putting this together though. Next time...

Geoff, looks like it's unlikely that conditions are going to improve. I just heard from our yacht club that the sailboat cruise scheduled for this weekend is cancelled due to projected gale-force winds. Doesn't sound good for diving. :(

I swear, we WILL get out there one of these Friday nights!

Conditions look a little better than yesterday. Here are a few shots from yesterday evening taken from the Pt Dume headlands; it's a little hard to tell, but the white water for the surf zone extends out quite a way

Looking toward Broad Beach
IMG_20120605_194026[1].jpg

Looking toward Dume cove
IMG_20120605_194304[1].jpg

By today, the waves looked to be a manageable size to get out if you timed them right (view at the east end of Dume cove)
IMG_20120606_174816[1].jpg

We can still play it by ear. I'm not giving up on cookies that easy, much less giving up on diving. This is the last Friday I'll be able to dive this month; have to do a dinner next Friday and then we take off for a bareboat charter in the Bahamas

Geoff, looks like it's unlikely that conditions are going to improve. I just heard from our yacht club that the sailboat cruise scheduled for this weekend is cancelled due to projected gale-force winds. Doesn't sound good for diving. :(

I swear, we WILL get out there one of these Friday nights!

Gale force winds! Sounds great for sailing! What kind of wimpy yacht club cancels a sail when conditions just start getting good?

LOL Geoff! We sailors love the wind, until it gets to the point where our anchors won't hold. Not much fun in being at the islands if you have to spend the whole night wide awake watching everyone's anchors drag. :wink:

Okay, I'll hang in there and see what happens. I would love to get out there, but I can't do it if the surf is up. This will be my first beach dive since I had back surgery over a year ago, and while I feel totally ready (lots of time at the gym!), I don't want to push it for my first time.

I'm ready to bake cookies, tho, if you tell me tomorrow it's lookin' good!

Back
Top Bottom