Buying my first UW camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucas Cordina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone!

So underwater photography seems really appealing to me, and it's definitely something I want to start doing, but, as I'm sure you've realized, I haven't gotten myself a camera yet

So as my first camera, what would you guys suggest?

Also, what kinds of different cameras are there and what should I watch out for?

Thanks for the time people, much appreciated:)

Avoid auto only cameras. Get something that you can grow with. Full manual capability is preferred, but at least get something with shutter/aperture preferences (AV/TV or S/A control settings). Avoid super zooms, as they cause problems with the length of the port preventing wide angle pictures when the camera isn't zoomed. Look for a camera that is popular for underwater use and make sure there is still a housing made for it.
Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon and Sony are the most used brands underwater, then there are the dive shop models from Sealife and a couple of others. The dive shop cameras are decent, but not great and come in kit form, so you can get everything at once.
Most popular cameras on this forum right now seem to be Canon G12 and S100. They're pricey, but are compact and take amazing pictures and offer the versatility of taking both macro and wide angle pictures on the same dive. Check the stickies at the top of this forum for further help.
There are also some good articles online by Dive Photo Guide and Backscatter Camera. They'll have some camera comparisons for you.

It looks like you not only new to photography, but diving as well. Personally I would look in to purchasing an inexpensive used model or something like an Intova IC12 just to see if you are really going to stick with both. You can find some good deals in the classifieds here on this forum.

I agree with James, before you commit alot of money on a camera, be sure your going to enjoy the activity. My first camera was a Nikon Aw100, good till about 33ft. I finally upgraded to a Sealife DC1400 and really enjoy it. Just be sure to research your camera, check out the gallery's and ask some of teh photographers what their preference is.

Chase

Thanks I'll certainly check Dive Photo Guide and Backscatter out, and thank you for all the information!
I'll commit your advice to memory! :)

---------- Post Merged at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:31 PM ----------

It looks like you not only new to photography, but diving as well. Personally I would look in to purchasing an inexpensive used model or something like an Intova IC12 just to see if you are really going to stick with both. You can find some good deals in the classifieds here on this forum.

I'll look the Intova IC12 up, and you raise a valid point since I'm new to diving, and I'll check the classifieds out!

Thanks James and Aceswild, I'll follow your advice!

Found some shots from the Intova IC12 from a german divers board. They are all OOC - no post treatment at all.
127 mb packed in a RAR

----> https://rapidshare.com/files/1920306868/Intova_IC_12.rar

Sorry i wouldnt spent about 250,- for that cam, if youre not in a big hurry, some used stuff might be not too bad for a first start, maybe a Canon S90/95 or a G9/10/11/12 would make you more happy.

I bought a used G10 and Canon housing about one year ago - costed a bit more than the IC 12... look at the macroshots - landscape pics are done with a Sigma DP1...

https://picasaweb.google.com/115364...12?noredirect=1#slideshow/5754681819270528866

I have got some pretty damn good photos with my IC10 and 4 IC12's. Now, are they as nice as my D5100? No. However, for a new diver wanting to see if taking pictures is their thing, they can be great.

I would rent a cheap digital camera first to make sure that photography is something you want to do. Once you get it (and you will either get it or realize NO THANKS) quite soon. Then I would figure out what budget I have and ask us again. There are $400 options and $15,000 options with a zillion in between. If you are serious, skip the beginner stuff and get something good from the beginning otherwise you are just wasting money.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom