Any advice for buying new camera vs just buying a housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingNole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I'm at the point where I would really like to venture into doing some underwater photography. I have a pretty basic point and shoot camera I use on the surface, a Cannon PowerShot SD 1400.

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD1400 IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo

Both Cannon and Ikelite housings are available on EBay for this camera. I'm not a tech guru, so simple and easy to use is the name of the game for me. I didn't know if people can offer any ideas on whether just getting a housing and strobe for my current camera isn't a bad route to go or if it makes sense to get a different model that people tend to use for underwater photography.
confused.gif
Thanks in advance!

I am always amazed at how good of photos can be taken with a simple point and shoot camera. I use a canon g12 with a recsea housing and a single ys-01 strobe now but before that I took hundreds of serviceable pics with my mini reefmaster - no housing and only a built in flash. best of all it stayed in my pocket till I wanted to take a pic. Lot to be said for that convenience. Look at Gilligans site for some of his photos (check the canon site) and you will see that it is the photographer that makes a much bigger difference than the sophistication of gear. I know that the pros tell us to get lower then get lower, get closer then get closer. Primarily what I see from photographers doing that is people settling down on the frigging reef. It makes me crazy. Nice pic, you just destroyed the habitat of the critter you were photographing. Just be careful and get familiar with your own equipment. That would be an argument for getting a housing and using what you have already. Of course more sophisticated gear allows you to take more sophisticated pics but ... how far do you want to go? Are you happy with memories or do you have visions of getting your shots on the cover of some dive magazines. If so you want dual strobes, interchangeable lenses... the whole 9 yards. Lots of choices in between. I would really suggest you visit some of the work of guys and girls who work with simple equipment and see if you are satisfied with what they produce or see if you want more. Good luck and happy shooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom