August Macro Techniques Workshop-Blue Heron Bridge 2nd to 5th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I will be teaching the August 2nd to 5th BLUE HERON BRIDGE MACRO TECHNIQUES WORKSHOP.

Feed back from the workshops has been excellent as we cover a wide range of shooting styles and techniques. This class includes several dives at the world famous BHB as mecca for diverse macro life.

We will have an Olympus OMD E-M5 camera and Nauticam housing on hand for students to try along with several macro accessories.

Contact Reef Photo at the attached link to secure your spot.

Phil Rudin

RPV Live Events : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Hi Phil. I signed up for this class :)

I have a question on what to bring. I have Olympus E-PL3 and Olympus housing, 2 Inon Z240s, Zen port, and the 14-42mm lens, 9-18mm, and Panasonic 45mm macro. Since this is macro shop, should I bother with the 9-18? Do you have any wet macro lens I can try that will work with the 14-42mm?

Also, I don't have any wetsuit thinner than 3mm, is that too much?

Lastly, I want to get as many dives as I can while I am down in FL. I see that there is an optional night dive on boat on Friday. Are there any shore-diving opportunities after the class on Saturday and Sunday? If so, do you know anyone who I can talk to and follow? Thanks.

Thanks and very much looking forward to it.

Hello Glee,

I will have closeup lenses +6.5 and +10 which have the 67mm thread. They will work if you have the Zen macro port for the 45 macro and with the 14-42 stock Olympus port with the adapter which I do not have but may be able to get. I will not be covering the 9-18 range lens but subjects at the bridge are large enough for that lens. Pure vida dive shop runs trips and you may want to contact them. They will be our source for your tanks and weights for the workshop. I have not checked the tides yet for the workshop dates but we will meet about an 1.5 to 2 hours before high tide at the bridge for the dives with the class room after in most cases. your 3mm should be perfect for a 1.5 to 2+ hour dive at the bridge. The Friday night dive is up to you and could be a macro or W/A dive. The dive shop will have lights to rent if you do not have your own.

These classes are always a lot of fun for all and a great way to learn and dive at the same time. I will also have the new Olympus E-M5 and Nauticam housing on hand if you want to give that a try.

Let me know your name so I can try to get Reef to have your needs covered.

Phil Rudin

George Lee. I don't have the Zen macro port, I was just going to use the stock Olympus port with the Panny 45mm macro. Does it not work? I have tried the Panny 45mm with the Zen dome port and it seems to work ok, but if the 45mm doesn't work with the stock olympus port then I probably don't even need to bring it the stock port?

Ahh I just Googled and found you in Wetpixel saying it won't work with the stock port. WTH? I don't really want to spend another $400 :( Should I forget the 45mm macro and just bring the 14-42mm then and try wet lens?

Thanks.

Phil,

I'll be there.

I get in Thursday evening and staying at the Hilton. I doubt I will make it down to the store that evening.

I'm pretty sure I have everything I need. The only thing I don't have and don't know if it will even work or is recommended is a 1.4 converter. I have the Athena 50mm port.

I never got a port for my 14-54, so I will just be shooting 50mm and I have a +10 wet diopter.

And I can/will dive whatever, especially night, so include me in anything/everything!

Stuke..

Hi George,

For sure bring the Panasonic 45 macro and we will work out getting it to work. This is the adapter you will need to fit a closeup lens with the 67mm threads to your stock Olympus port.

http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_87&products_id=4528

ConchyJoe,

I think the 1.4 tele converter with the 50mm macro is the best combo I have used with that lens. You will need an extension for the TC. to fit in the housing however and I don't have one at this time. I will check with Reef to see if they have one in stock. This is the extension you will need for the 1.4 TC.

http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_126_113&products_id=1933

The night dives are an add-on and I know at least one is going.

Phil

I'll check with Reef tomorrow. So if I can get my hands on a PER-E01, you have a 1.4 I could try out, or do I need to get one too?

Thanks for the feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom