PVC gear rack, need ideas and experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacobholm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I just moved into a new house and don't really have a lot of space to store my gear in. I need to build a pvc rack that can fit inside a 55"x40" area. I want to be able to hang almost all of my gear on the rack, except the smaller things like lead weights, knife etc. The drysuit will hang upside down with pvc pipes inside the legs, something like Ken's Skooba Spot: Ultimate Drysuit Drying Rack, with some modifications for more gear.

I have made some rough "sketches", with blocks to give an impression of some gear:

Pvc_Rack_Front.jpg
Pvc_Rack_Side.jpg
Pvc_Rack_Persp.jpg
Pvc_Rack_Persp_Gear.jpg

Has anyone made a rack for all the equipment who can provide some tips or even measurements? I have also been thinking of a smart way to hang the suit without having to use a chair or even a ladder =P..

If the place you moved into can accommodate, I recommend putting the whole thing on wheels. I did a great PVC rack that I could roll out to the driveway and then hook up to a hose and water flowed throughout it to rinse everything. Once the stuff drip dried enough, I rolled it right into the garage.

If the place you moved into can accommodate, I recommend putting the whole thing on wheels. I did a great PVC rack that I could roll out to the driveway and then hook up to a hose and water flowed throughout it to rinse everything. Once the stuff drip dried enough, I rolled it right into the garage.

Very good idea, I have to store it in a room on the second floor, but there is a small balcony just above the terrace where the hose is. I could rinse it up there, then roll it inside. I've heard of someone who hooked the rack up to a hose as you mention, but I am unsure of how I should achieve this. Did you use a waterpump or simply hook the hose into the top of the rack somehow (perhaps the pressure from the hose is enough)? You wouldn't happen to have some pictures of the rack?

Last edited:
Sorry, no pics. I just plugged the garden hose into it and that was plenty of pressure. I specifically plumbed it and had holes to the water to flow to the inside of wetsuits and stuff. For the outside of the stuff, I just blasted it with the hose before hooking it up.

Ok, thank you. I will make up my mind design wise and buy the materials. I will definately put wheels on it. I'll post pictures when the project is done.

If you cap all the ends and install a hose connection so water can be pushed through the rack, I recommend that you measure and determine the crossectional area of the inside of your water hose and not exceed that area with the size and number of drilled holes by too much. You might drill a few and test it. If you have too much open area the water will just simply run out the lower of the holes you drill and not get to the top of the rack.

You would be better off rinsing in a tub. There is a reason every Boat Op uses a tub rather than a fancy water rack. Once the gear is rinsed then drying can involve a rack if you like. Storing is a different requirement. You can store most gear packed. I would approach this in three stages, not one.

You would be better off rinsing in a tub. There is a reason every Boat Op uses a tub rather than a fancy water rack. Once the gear is rinsed then drying can involve a rack if you like. Storing is a different requirement. You can store most gear packed. I would approach this in three stages, not one.

I do not have a tub =( But I guess I could fill the case i carry it all in with water. Connecting a hose to the rack might not be necessary as hosing/soaking all the gear isn't a big job. The main reason I need to drill holes in the tubes is to dry the inside of my drysuit in case it gets wet. For short term storage I think the equipment can be stored on the rack, I don't know if it might be damaged long term.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom