Reviews of Halycon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie1229

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at getting a new BCD. My current one is a SeaQuest Diva QD, and while I have loved this BC, I purchased it in 1999 and it is finally time to replace it.

I've heard great things about back inflate BC's, and my LDS has a Halycon that looks very sturdy and minimalist, which I like. It also looks like a great travel BC, as you can take the backplate out, and put it in your carry-on. The husband & wife owners of the dive shop rave about it. My husband and I are going to try it at the local pool this fall, but just curious what everyone out there thinks about the Halycon.

Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

Great equipment, only downside I can think of its a bit expensive. The next few post are most likely going to point you to Tobin so I will not bother. I have multiple Halcyon products and love all of them, would not have it any other way. I dont mind paying a premium for great equipment.

It's good gear, at just about the highest price point in the market. You won't be unhappy with it, but you can get something you'll like for significantly less.

I have had both my halcyon wings for ten years now. Excellent gear IMO. I would not hesitate to buy more. The price is the only thing that is a downside.

Totally agree. If you are the kind of person who has money to burn, (some call it the `Blue H` tax) then you won't go wrong buying it. I'm sure your LDS could show you other things similiarly priced but of far less value or usefullness.

`H` is good quality gear that is well thought out but priced with a little too much pride for my taste. If you are looking for similar gear at a lower price point, there are many others to consider.

`H` is good quality gear that is well thought out but priced with a little too much pride for my taste. If you are looking for similar gear at a lower price point, there are many others to consider.

All from China, if you like that sort of thing.

All from China, if you like that sort of thing.

Not True. Virtually all DSS gear is made in Pasadena California using domestic materials if possible. Our urethane, ballistic nylon, webbing, bungee cord are all from domestic mills.

We produce our own back plates, and we injection mold all of our own parts with the exception of the power inflator and corrugated hose.

Tobin

Not True. Virtually all DSS gear is made in Pasadena California using domestic materials if possible. Our urethane, ballistic nylon, webbing, bungee cord are all from domestic mills.

We produce our own back plates, and we injection mold all of our own parts with the exception of the power inflator and corrugated hose.

Tobin

Sorry, I forgot about you. My bad. My pathetic bad.

H is expansive, but quality is very top notch too. It is for people who are willing to spend more to get the final details. Just like everything else, return is deminished. Think about automobile industry, some will be happy with Honda, some are willing to spend more for BMW/MB/Audi, and some will go to more extreme to Bugatti. After all, it is all one's personal preference and finanacial situation.

And just for the sake of argument, nothing wrong with stuff that made in china. They can in fact produce very high quality stuff for lower cost. And also try to live a while without using anything made in China, you will realize their value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom