ALL tools needed for regulator (1st and 2nd stage) maintenance, Scubapro and Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
I just browsed through a scubapro 1st stage repair guide and was wondering, if the job can be done decently using non-generic tools? I want to service regularly both my scubapro mk19+G250 and my Apeks xtx100.

What do I need to service my 1st&2nd stages?

Ebay toolkits (e.g.#1) don't seem to include cup wrench and pneumatic adjustment tool (for internal pressure/second stage adjustment), maybe other key elements are missing too.

I just browsed through a scubapro 1st stage repair guide and was wondering, if the job can be done decently using non-generic tools? I want to service regularly both my scubapro mk19+G250 and my Apeks xtx100.

What do I need to service my 1st&2nd stages?

Ebay toolkits (e.g.#1) don't seem to include cup wrench and pneumatic adjustment tool (for internal pressure/second stage adjustment), maybe other key elements are missing too.

I assume you mean "using generic tools". I can't speak to SP but Apeks does not require any Apeks specific tools, you will need a C or pin spanner to remove the diaphragm ring but you should be able to find a generic one.

Take a look at the brand specific tools offered by ScubaTools but like I said for Apeks you can make do with generic tools. I have all the factory specific tools but that's because I'm a gear freak, I have serviced my regs using generic tools without issue. Good luck.

Store - Air Flow Analyzer, Bench Fixtures, Pressure Gauges, Regulator Test Instruments

Scuba Tools - Regulator Servicing - Brand Specific Tools

i was wondering this too, as a newbie i'm kind of lost in what are essential tools and what are nice-to-have tools that can be substituted with other tools, especially when it comes to scubapro regulators (mk25 and g260). i killed some time at the office yesterday doing searches here, but couldn't really find any lists that covered this. does such a list exist?

This topic has been covered before, and there are lots of opinions about what specialized tools are necessary and what can be worked around. Awap has some good ideas on home-made tools, and herman makes excellent tools.

Anyhow, for SP regulators, a good versatile tool is the combination wrench/spanner sold by scubatools, and a good set of o-ring picks; I like the double hook scubatools pick. A torque wrench is (IMO) a necessity, if you don't use one you'll very likely over-torque fittings. How damaging that is depends on the fitting and the severity of over-torque, but they're not that expensive.

I suspect there's some sort of installation tool for the MK19, but I know I've rebuilt a few MK11/16/17/18 without a special installation tool. The MK25 has a bushing install tool, I've made do without it on the few occasions I've rebuilt a friend's MK20, but if I owned one I'd get the tool. The G260 I don't know about, but if it's the same as the G250, there's nothing I can think of. An inline adjustment tool is a convenience IMO. I mostly use a sink filled with water to check cracking effort which I realize is pretty red-neck of me but who cares. I just adjust them to where I want them, and I'm pretty good at finding the sweet spot for easiest cracking effort without causing case fault geometry problems.

Certainly an IP gauge is a necessity, a small vice for holding the 1st stage is more-or-less a necessity. Other folks will chime in with lots of suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback!

Found some additional valuable information here on Apeks 1st stage.

As for 2nd stages, instead of a stage specific cover key, I'll go for a universal one.

I have yet to find an adapter that can make use of a standard G1/4" threaded pressure gauge for IP.
Anyhow, for SP regulators, a good versatile tool is the combination wrench/spanner sold by scubatools, and a good set of o-ring picks; I like the double hook scubatools pick. A torque wrench is (IMO) a necessity, if you don't use one you'll very likely over-torque fittings. How damaging that is depends on the fitting and the severity of over-torque, but they're not that expensive.

I suspect there's some sort of installation tool for the MK19, but I know I've rebuilt a few MK11/16/17/18 without a special installation tool. The MK25 has a bushing install tool, I've made do without it on the few occasions I've rebuilt a friend's MK20, but if I owned one I'd get the tool. The G260 I don't know about, but if it's the same as the G250, there's nothing I can think of. An inline adjustment tool is a convenience IMO. I mostly use a sink filled with water to check cracking effort which I realize is pretty red-neck of me but who cares. I just adjust them to where I want them, and I'm pretty good at finding the sweet spot for easiest cracking effort without causing case fault geometry problems.

Certainly an IP gauge is a necessity, a small vice for holding the 1st stage is more-or-less a necessity. Other folks will chime in with lots of suggestions.

A screw in handle is nice to have.
An old CO2 cartridge or 3/8" threaded rod works.

The vise by itself will not work well. Just use a rod or a cartridge.
You do not really need any purge cover keys. just use a leather glove - place your palm on the cover and unscrew it. Make sure you remove the locking pin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom