Sleep or lack there of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltbabe

Diva of the Deep
Reaction score
Does anyone know of something other then drugs or warm milk that will help someone to sleep. It has been 3 days now that I have gone with less then 4-5 hours sleep and it is finally taking it's toll on me. I can't stand milk and I don't do drugs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance folks.

hmm, you gotta try different things out but things that help me:

- lavender drops. there are special drops you can put on your pillow to help you sleep. got some from england in boots once. otherwise lavender is known to calm ppl.
- drink sleep teas. in switzerland we have all sorts of herbal and sleepy teas.
- homöopathie. there are some pretty good round beads that you can swallow.
- i like valium for flights, but no drugs so ok.
- melatonin. not really a drug as your body produces melatonin on it's own and i haven't noticed any side effects.
- beer, wein
- meditation. maybe you just can't shut down. try to forget what bothers you through the day and let go.
- a warm bath just before bed.
- reading the phone book.

good luck. i know what it's like and i hate warm milk.

I have been reading every night but it produces some very very horrible dreams that wake me up in worse condition then before I went to sleep. I am thinking about stopping on the way home to get some wine but I end up with a head ache even on two glasses on week days.

I like the hot bath and might add some candles and some classical music. Problem is I have 2 hours to get all my chores done when I get home and only that amount of time to spend with my children so do I spend me time or do I spend time with them? God I hate being a single mother. Sorry for unloading folks. It must be the lack of sleep.

Have you considered trying yoga? I was in a near-fatal car accident a few years ago and couldn't sleep without pain meds and sleeping pills. I decided to give yoga a shot and was able to sleep through the night without chemical help. 4 years later it's still working!

I travel frequently. Changing time zones and staying in hotels can cause insomnia. I've developed the following routine, which seems to help.

1. A short (20 - 30 minutes) and moderate workout, such as swimming or briskly walking;
2. a very hot bath or whirlpool; and
3. a couple of melatonin tablets.

With regard to reading, I'd switch books if the one you are reading is giving you nightmares.

When you go to sleep, try to minimize outside stimulation. No TV, movies, lights, etc. I also find that a white noise generator (in my case an air conditioner or a humidifer, depending on the season) works well.

I gave up caffeine back in January. I found that this helped immensely. I'm not groggy in the morning, I get to sleep faster and I sleep better.

Finally, if you can't resolve this on your own, check with your doc. There could be some other issue.

Good luck.

ChicagoMermaid:
Have you considered trying yoga? I was in a near-fatal car accident a few years ago and couldn't sleep without pain meds and sleeping pills. I decided to give yoga a shot and was able to sleep through the night without chemical help. 4 years later it's still working!

I would love to try that but I don't have the time. I am up at 6:30am to get the kids off to school and don't get home till 8:15pm. Long days. I think I need to win the lottery. Anyone know the winning numbers?

Northeastwrecks:
Finally, if you can't resolve this on your own, check with your doc. There could be some other issue.

Good luck.

Have you been talking to my husband? Lord almighty. LOL

cobaltbabe:
I would love to try that but I don't have the time. I am up at 6:30am to get the kids off to school and don't get home till 8:15pm. Long days. I think I need to win the lottery. Anyone know the winning numbers?

Once you get into an insomnia cycle, it can be difficult to break. It seems to me that the larger my sleep deficit, the harder it is to get to sleep at an appropriate moment (sleeping in my office during the day is easy, but nonproductive).

With regard to chores, can you skip 'em for one night? Order take out and relax. The laundry will still be there in the morning.

With regard to the kids, is there any way that the kids could spend one night somewhere else, i.e., a sleepover or a night with the grandparents?

The idea is to minimize stress and outside stimuli for one evening so that you can get your sleep habits back on track. Once you're there, it'll probably be easier to stay there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom