Scuba Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rachelscott51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've recently gotten into geocaching and have heard, but not seen, any underwater caches. What do people know? I'm assuming this is on the rise in the U.S. and worldwide. I'm excited about the prospect!

Anyone else have experience with UW geocaches?

rachelscott51:
I've recently gotten into geocaching and have heard, but not seen, any underwater caches. What do people know? I'm assuming this is on the rise in the U.S. and worldwide. I'm excited about the prospect!

Anyone else have experience with UW geocaches?

I've never seen underwater caches yet, but I've heard they're out there. I should take some time and plant a couple. I just need to sit down and figure out how I'm going to do it.

I know of at least one, and it's in Kingston, placed there by one of our very own..

www.geocaching.com

With the advent of cheap handheld GPS units, people have taken to putting little treasure boxes (usually tupperware containers with a notepad and some various cute, cheap items) and logging their coordinates on this web site. Basically, if you want to get into it, you find geocaches near where you live using their search function, then input the coordinates into your GPS unit and go a-huntin. When you find the cache, you take an item, leave an item, and log your find on the web site. You can place your own caches.

They're doing very interesting things with traveling caches, traveling items, mystery caches, multicaches.... lots of fun though, and it gets you outside or gives you something to do during the SI :wink:

A geocache is a sort of treasure chest "cache" (pronounced cash) that can be found through use of a GPS and sometimes, through clues as well. You can go to different websites and they will list the caches in your area. You get a coordinate on the site that you then go out exploring to find it using your GPS. Once found, within the cache are items that can be taken, though you must replace what you take with your own little token. Often there will be a log book that you can put your name in to show you found it. You can find out more about it at www.geocaching.com and other similar websites. It's really fun and I want to get involved underwater now.

I have been meaning to set some around here, but havent managed to get to it yet. I think it is a fun Idea.

(note to self: Maybe I should geo cache myself with a note that I should be sent to Monaco to live in a palace, I wonder if you are allowed to geo cache humans.)

Besides clues from shore from a GPS point, how else would you go about setting up a scuba cache?

rachelscott51:
Besides clues from shore from a GPS point, how else would you go about setting up a scuba cache?

Well, clues from non-shore coordinates comes to mind. In other words, coordinates for the boat. Since you'd have some variation due to tides and currents, you might want more detail than just the surface coordinates.

Back
Top Bottom