Powell River Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Well Uncle Pug and I spent three days diving up in Powell River and all I can say is that it was worth the trip!!!!!!!

Our first dive just outside the Lund harbor was lovely!!!! Over 100' of vis on a wall that went down to 250 fsw. We didn't go down that far. There were huge tube sponges and lots of fish to look at. It was a beautiful sunny day and at 75 fsw my 10W can light was ineffectual for signaling. U.P.'s 21 W light worked great. Our second dive of the day had us head north to some islands about a 5 minute boat ride away. There we kept a shallow profile and dove a scuttled wreck in about 75'. Vis was excellent and we had a great time.
Day two found us still in Lund where we grazed on the cinnamon buns at Nancy's bakery. Needless to say neither UP or I lost any weight. We then hooked up with "Wolf Eel" a local SB'r who lives near Powell River. We dove another wall off of some islands in Desolation Sound for our first dive. Vis again was excellent at least 75'. For our second dive we came back to Lund and dove a wall called the Iron Mines. Vis was only 35' or so, but lots of fish, sponges, and urchins.

Day three found us in Salterly Bay just north of the ferry terminal. Since UP had to catch the 11:00 am ferry we found ourselves in water early. We dropped down the line to the Mermaid and were greeted with the best vis of all the dives. It was well in excess of 150'!! Had the sun been out it would have felt tropical. It was better vis on this dive than I had experienced on any of my dives last winter in Turks and Caicos. The underwater terrain is very interesting here. Many valleys and ravines. Lots to see including a very friendly GPO that shook UP's hand.
After Pug left, we launched my boat and headed out to an unexplored wall a few miles north of the Mermaid. The vis was 75' or so and no way compared to the spoiling earlier in the day. An excellent wall dive with many tube sponges, king crab and lots of fish.

So here is the deal on diving in Powell River: It's great. There is much more life there than in Sechelt but not as much as Puget Sound. At least for us the vis was great! Plan your dives with current in mind. We had no trouble with any, but we chose protected areas. Wall dives are the style here. Lots of deep drop offs that either step down or fall straight off. I'm not sure that there is a bad spot anywhere around this area. There are two dive shops - one in Powell River and one Lund. The Powell River shop is the only one to do Nitrox. If you go to Lund - which you should - stop in at Nancy's bakery. It is right on the waterfront. Do not tell the BC ferry staff that you have tanks on board your vehicle. They will hassle you big time. If you have your own boat, you should take it even though it is costly on the ferries. My truck and boat together is 50' long and for that I had to drop $130. Canadian each way. Figure that it will take you about 7 hours from Seattle to get up there. If you have your own boat you might want to stop in Egmont either on the way up or way back for a day of diving. Well worth the trip if for no other reason than to enjoy the incredible vis.

Back
Top Bottom