Innovative ways to make noise underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcat

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear about how people have "designed" their own underwater noise makers. Tell us about contraptions that you use to signal other divers underwater.

I once saw this guy with a whole string of carabiners that he rattled underwater. Sounded like Santa Claus was coming to town but was a bit bulky to carry around and dragged along the floor.

I'm also thinking about getting a subduck, but my sea-quest airsource is pretty difficult to keep in my mouth as it is without adding more equipment to the inflator hose, making the whole thing a lot stiffer.

Never really cared for tank bangers that are a pain to change from tank to tank.

I've always dreamed about some cool and easy to carry and use device but one head can only come up with so many ideas!

Nearly purchased a very expensive Rattle with MARES stamped on the side. It retailed at £25.00GBP.
So being a resourcful chap I went home raided the shed forn a 6inch length of 15mm copper tube, filled it with some 10mm ball bearings, soldered two endcaps on it and voila, one home made noncorrosive rattle - 's bleedin loud 'n all

The subduck is an interesting device. Have you ever used one? I can get them, but I've never seen one in real life. I get a lot of requests from Europe for them, but I haven't figured out a cheap way to ship over there. If you get one let me know how you like it.

My knife against my steel tank seems to work just fine. On a side note, I am going to be trying something new on my next trip. I was at the LDS the other day and some guy was in there. He was trying to sell his product. It was an underwater fish call. He gave me and my buddy about 30 samples to try. It is basically a straw filled with bb's. It ain't that loud, but he said it attracted fish, and could be heard underwater. :shark:

Check out the wreckmania threads (I think #2 or 3) in there, Walter and another member talk about "building" a rattler. It sounds pretty simple if you have the stuff.

I wonder if the Warhammer would be a good way to generate noise underwater ?

:warhammer

:hiding:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom