How to repair latex seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I just added dry glove rings to my wife's suit, and I noticed a tiny tiny hole in the latex seal. I was wondering what the best way to repair that is. Rubber cement with rubber patch?

What do all the experts out there do? :)

Darryl

I just repaired my dry gloves on my DUI suit. I used aquaseal mixed with cotol 240. The Aquaseal by itself will work it just takes longer to cure without the cotol 240. 8 hours versus 2 hours. Just mix it up and apply liberally to the hole. If you can apply the mixture both inside and outside the glove for a stronger seal.

On the Aquaseal a helpful hint, after the first use place the tube in the frig. Otherwise it will harden at the opening and the next time you need it will be a pain to get thru the hardened stuff at the neck of the tube.

Oh yea, I used the cotol 240 to clean the glove area before applying the mixture.

wsparks:
I just repaired my dry gloves on my DUI suit. I used aquaseal mixed with cotol 240. The Aquaseal by itself will work it just takes longer to cure without the cotol 240. 8 hours versus 2 hours. Just mix it up and apply liberally to the hole. If you can apply the mixture both inside and outside the glove for a stronger seal.

On the Aquaseal a helpful hint, after the first use place the tube in the frig. Otherwise it will harden at the opening and the next time you need it will be a pain to get thru the hardened stuff at the neck of the tube.

Oh yea, I used the cotol 240 to clean the glove area before applying the mixture.

What's cotol 240?

LOL, you threw me on that one. So, I had to cheat.. Since you are up North you should be able to find this at any Dive Store, or on-line, depending on your preference...

Cotol-240™ Cleaner & Cure Accelerator is a urethane cure accelerator and pre-cleaner to be used in conjunction with Aquaseal® or Aquasure™. The solvent cleans and prepares the surface, readying it for Aquaseal® or Aquasure™, speeding the tack time to 15 minutes and the full cure time to less than two hours. Cotol-240 is also ideal for removing tar, sap, glue, and other resins from various surfaces including glass, plastic and metal. Available in ½ oz. Blister Pack, 4 oz. and Quart (not shown).

Cotol-240™ Directions for use with Aquaseal® or Aquasure™ Urethane Repair Adhesive and Sealant:

AS PRECLEANER:

Apply a small amount to the damaged area (spot test for colorfastness).
Rub with a clean cloth until dry.
Repeat steps 1 and 2.
Apply Aquasure as directed.
Note: for best adhesion, first roughen non-fabric surfaces with sandpaper.
AS CURE ACCELERATOR:

Thoroughly mix 1 part cure accelerator with 3–4 parts Aquaseal® or Aquasure™ using a stick, toothpick, or knife. Mix on a non-absorbent surface such as a plastic lid or plate.
Immediately apply the mixture to the damaged area.
Allow the repair to completely cure at least 2 hours before using.
FOR COLORS: Mix food coloring or paint colorant (available at paint stores) into the Aquasure and cure accelerator before applying.

CLEAN-UP: To remove Aquaseal® or Aquasure™ from hands, use cloth soaked with paint thinner, nail polish remover or 99% isopropyl alcohol.

STORAGE: Cap tightly. Store in cool, dry place. Use blister card package for storage.

wsparks:
LOL, you threw me on that one. So, I had to cheat.. Since you are up North you should be able to find this at any Dive Store, or on-line, depending on your preference...

Cotol-240™ Cleaner & Cure Accelerator is a urethane cure accelerator and pre-cleaner to be used in conjunction with Aquaseal® or Aquasure™. The solvent cleans and prepares the surface, readying it for Aquaseal® or Aquasure™, speeding the tack time to 15 minutes and the full cure time to less than two hours. Cotol-240 is also ideal for removing tar, sap, glue, and other resins from various surfaces including glass, plastic and metal. Available in ½ oz. Blister Pack, 4 oz. and Quart (not shown).

Cotol-240™ Directions for use with Aquaseal® or Aquasure™ Urethane Repair Adhesive and Sealant:

AS PRECLEANER:

Apply a small amount to the damaged area (spot test for colorfastness).
Rub with a clean cloth until dry.
Repeat steps 1 and 2.
Apply Aquasure as directed.
Note: for best adhesion, first roughen non-fabric surfaces with sandpaper.
AS CURE ACCELERATOR:

Thoroughly mix 1 part cure accelerator with 3–4 parts Aquaseal® or Aquasure™ using a stick, toothpick, or knife. Mix on a non-absorbent surface such as a plastic lid or plate.
Immediately apply the mixture to the damaged area.
Allow the repair to completely cure at least 2 hours before using.
FOR COLORS: Mix food coloring or paint colorant (available at paint stores) into the Aquasure and cure accelerator before applying.

CLEAN-UP: To remove Aquaseal® or Aquasure™ from hands, use cloth soaked with paint thinner, nail polish remover or 99% isopropyl alcohol.

STORAGE: Cap tightly. Store in cool, dry place. Use blister card package for storage.

Thanks! Will try that.

dvleemin:
Hi,
I just added dry glove rings to my wife's suit, and I noticed a tiny tiny hole in the latex seal. I was wondering what the best way to repair that is. Rubber cement with rubber patch?

Darryl

Replacing the seal is the proper way to repair it.

dvleemin:
Hey HardHat,
You ever been diving with Abysmal on Quadra Island? WE're thinking of heading there next spring.

Darryl

You bet I've been to Abbyssal on Quadra Island. Always a good time and the dive is aways outstanding. There are some unreal site to dive and some unreal sights to see, under the waves. If you don't like current don't go though, just about all the dives are in moving water, it cool doing drift dives like some of them are. You have to go higher north on the Island to get much better diving.

dvleemin:
Hi,

Darryl
I'm a little confused here. It sounds like you are asking about how to patch a Latex seal, not the rubber glove itself. WSParks described repairing the glove, not the seal. If the hole is in the glove, then I concur with his answer completely (I have a few glue warts on my gloves right now). However, if it is the latex seal, Hardhat is correct in saying to replace the seal.

dvleemin:
Agreed, however we're putting dry gloves on, the seals are only there as a precaution.

Darryl
Yes, a precaution NOT to be ignored. I wouldn't dive without the seals (or let someone I care about dive without them). A flooded suit is nothing to take lightly. Especially if you dive in BC! :11:

Back
Top Bottom