here we go.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltimoron

Contributor
Reaction score
alright. its that time. I am looking for a 5-7 day cheap destination in the Carribean/Mexico/Central America area. here is my criteria, can you guys help me out?

We will probably have three divers with us... a new diver, and two "hasn't dove in eight years" diver.

We will be flying out of BWI, I am willing to strech for Dulles, but Air Jamaica flies to BWI.

Our dates will be the last week in june, 2005.... don't know how long.

I want a place where I can discover the joys of diving. A Lot of different dives, not just the same reef here, reef there.... I am looking for a place I can get a lot of variety in depth, wildlife, and types of dives.... maybe some harder ones for the end, but nothings like the Andrea Doria...

I don't care if we do it off a boat, or off a shore, or whatnot.

I don't care that much for topside activities.... I just want to be underwater... however, I do want a good resturaunt that I can get a good conch chowder.

I don't mind putting up in a holiday inn, I don't have to say at a fancy hotel... I would like my hotel to be dive catered if that is a CHEAP possibility.

I don't mind travelling far.....

I would prefer to avoid sleazy tourists, if that is possible.... nothing like nassau where you have people EVERYWHERE... Less populated is better... Less known is GREAT.

Culture shock is non existent... if it makes a difference, I speak spanish. Well. I doubt that will matter.

I do have an Israeli passport, so I want to be able to get into the country... But Cuba is a possibility.

I am thinking Bonaire, but I am not sure... I have a little bit of an aversion to the Bahamas, but then again... it is an archipelago-- A lot of different islands... Maybe I will find one I like.

I want something that will take my breath away, not my wallet.

Can you guys help me out?

I would be a VERY happy camper.

I'd suggest either Bonaire or Roatan (CCV).

Bonaire has more restaurants (excellent food) but will be more expensive than Roatan. You can dive your brains out in either location.

Blackbeards is cheap. I'll know more in a month.

roatan is not an option for me... airfare is a killer.... :( it was almost 1400$ to get there from BWI or from IAD (Dulles). Connections in Miami, and somewhere in Costa Rica.... I wish Roatan was do-able.

wait... update.... I was looking up flights from Miami instead of Baltimore, and I found something do-able for about 453$$ that could be alright. I could fly into FLL on a cheap SWA flight, stay with my grandparents for a night, and then hike it down there to Roatan. Still, its a bit of strech for my dad.... being in a Central American country.... but we'll see.

If you are thinking of Roatan I can recomend Anthony's Key Resort.

baltimoron:
roatan is not an option for me... airfare is a killer.... :( it was almost 1400$ to get there from BWI or from IAD (Dulles). Connections in Miami, and somewhere in Costa Rica.... I wish Roatan was do-able.
I know you corrected yourself in the next post, but - download Sidestep.com for better air fare shopping.

baltimoron:
I want a place where I can discover the joys of diving. A Lot of different dives, not just the same reef here, reef there.... I am looking for a place I can get a lot of variety in depth, wildlife, and types of dives.... maybe some harder ones for the end, but nothings like the Andrea Doria...

I don't care if we do it off a boat, or off a shore, or whatnot.

I don't care that much for topside activities.... I just want to be underwater... however, I do want a good resturaunt that I can get a good conch chowder.

I am thinking Bonaire, but I am not sure...

Can you guys help me out?

I would be a VERY happy camper.

Bonaire sounds as though it will meet *some* of your requirements. Lots of easy dives, do them off the shore or off a boat. The dives tend to be very similar though, and almost all the boat diving is pretty shallow - 20m (60ft) max depth. One nice wreck at 28m is the Hilma Hooker. No sea life larger than tarpon & turtles. It would be ideal for your partners though. No culture shock, they even use US$ and almost everyone speaks English.

There is some more advanced diving, the Windjammer is a wreck at 60m (200ft), iirc. Most diving is done on the west coast, sheltered from the prevailing winds, but there's a dive centre called Larry's Wildside Diving that dives the east coast which is a bit more challenging.

If you do decide on Bonaire, try the mixed grill at the Casablanca restaurant.

I definately want a place where I can see a BIG variety of things... not just this reef and that reef... bla bla bla. I am looking for a variety, enough that I won't ever be bored. I mean, I don't think it would really be that easy, but I want to really get to see a lot of where diving can take me.

is this a valid concern?

Back
Top Bottom