Mares Hub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hello everyone... i am on the quest of finding the right gear for me. i encountered the mares hub today. very interesting idea and very nice. mind the sales pitch :p

any hub owners?
what do you guys say about this system?
is it dangerous to have everything inside?

Jay

diver371:
hello everyone... i am on the quest of finding the right gear for me. i encountered the mares hub today. very interesting idea and very nice. mind the sales pitch :p

any hub owners?
is it dangerous to have everything inside?

Jay
No hub owners...I think they all died :wink:

Very Interesting...Yep
Very Nice??? Nope

Hub a dub dub

Hey Jay,

You will find LOTS AND LOTS of differing opinions about the HUB, particularly if you use the search function on the board.

While I admit, they look pretty cool when they are in the hands of a clever retail salesman, they are generally considered the "Edsel" of dive gear. Over engineered, more complicated than needs be, with more potential failure points than a standard set of dive gear.

I would recommend saving your money and investing in a better set of standard equipment.

Has Mares removed them from their product line? They don't seem to be on the Mares website anywhere... perhaps that's why the salesman was giving you the sweet talk :eyebrow:

Bottom line, avoid them like the plague.

hi there
i have seen a german couple on my trip to the maldives who were both using mares hub BCD's, they looked alright, but i'm not sure i'd use one, during a buddy check i had a looksee and i'd don't think that they would be dangerous to use, but like said before
i'd go for seperate bits, long before i'd go with one i think

:wink:

Both second stages are supplied by a single LP hose that goes into a splitter box buried somewhere in the back of the unit. Lose that hose, lose your primary and backup second stages at the same time. I can't find the picture right now, but.. it's pretty scary. The octo also seems to stow *inside a pocket* you have to unzip to deploy. That's kinda scary too. And I'd say it's dangerous.

diver371:

Jay

Just one thing:

I hope you live®...

and that whole deflator/inflator unit thingy on the left hip uses cables that are like the cables on bicycle brakes. I am very dubious about how they hold up to corrosion, and how you could check them for wear before they failed.

is to dive gear as your shower cap is to fashion accessories...

cancun mark:
and that whole deflator/inflator unit thingy on the left hip uses cables that are like the cables on bicycle brakes. I am very dubious about how they hold up to corrosion, and how you could check them for wear before they failed.

I agree with the past comments about the hub, but not this one about Airtrim, The system works and is reliable. It uses air pressure to work the system, Everytime you get on a train or coach you put your life in the hands of good old tried and trusted hydrualic systems.

Hey Mark, how many more times can you get you name into a PDF :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom