Diving with Salt Water Crocodiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So the other day I am out "googling" around the internet and I am trying to find info. on diving the Great Barrier Reef and I come across a dive operators website that has a link to an article about diving with salt water crocs. Unfortunately, the shop must be out of business because all of the links on their home page were dead.

Here is my questions:

a) Do divers really dive with these bruts? They get almost as large as great white sharks.
b) If so, has anyone on the board done so? Is it a reasonably safe thing to do or is it like a few divers (insane??) that snorkle or dive outside the cage with great whites in South Africa?
c) Does the thought of this appeal to anyone else as much as it does to me??
d) alternative dives with other species? IE alligators, caymen, etc.

Let me know your thoughts and experiance.

Dave

I've heard about an acrylic tube that divers stick themselves inside to look at crocs... functionally similar to a shark cage. Problem is, the waters that crocs like is so turbid that you don't see the croc until it's pressed against the cylinder.

I'll take great whites over saltwater crocs anytime. Crocs are bloody dangerous.

Our ship pulled into Darwin and our divers were preparing for a hull dive. One of the divers asked a local about the sharks. He was told, don't worry about the sharks.................the salt water crocs ate them. I wish I had a camera to catch the looks.

The boat ramps have warnings not to launch your boat at the same time every day because the crocs will get to know your schedule. Really!!!!!

I've been in the springs with alligators (some big bad boys) and sharks but crocs are a different story. You are most certainly on their food chain list. They are very aggressive and territorial.

I know someone that WAS going to dive an inlet in Mexico until one of the locals showed them what a salt water crock will do with chum.
Someone else on SB posted a question about crocks/gators in FL. It was posted later that the crocks will leave you alone as long as you don't approach them.

It was posted later that the crocks will leave you alone as long as you don't approach them.

Well... HECK!!! What's the fun in THAT! :wink:

SeanQ:
Get Steve Irwin to be your dive buddy. At least you'll be okay. :)

By crocky he's a big one!! Watch me as I dive under him and rub his belly while donating my octo to my DB. If the crock floods my mask I will simply squeeze him and use his breath the clear my mask.

crpntr133:
Someone else on SB posted a question about crocks/gators in FL. It was posted later that the crocks will leave you alone as long as you don't approach them.

that's absolutely true for Florida alligators and crocodiles, with some caveats:

1. during mating season, they are much more territorial and are dangerous

2. after mating season, they guard their nest, so... don't go hear
their nests

3. if you are small (i.e. a child), you are a target for the larger ones

4. if you are a dog and near the water, you are a target

5. if people start feeding them, they'll come out looking for food and
may attack because they're not afraid of people any more

the Florida crocs live in the extreme south of Florida; the rest of the state
just has gators. i've seen tons of gators, but never a croc.

alligators have a "blunt" or "roundish" snout, whereas crocs have a "narrow"
or "pointy" snout and you can see the teeth even when they have their
mouths closed.

Alligators are not generally as aggresive as crocidiles. I grew up on a lake in La. We had alligators all over. They never bothered me but on the one occasion one went after my dog I killed him with my rifle by walking up to him and putting the muzzle on his skull, he had come out of the water and was after my dog. Essentially they would often sun themselves on our boat dock and in order for me to use the dock I had to go kick them and pull their tails till they left. I wish I had a picture of a gator in NW La. recently over 15 feet long that killed a deer and was swimming with the critter in it's mouth. Gators will charge and they can move real fast.
I note that the dive shop you tried to contact was not responsive to your inquiry! That may be the result of their having been eaten by a crocidile! I would avoid saltwater crocs, fw gators are not so much a problem. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom