Need to have reg O2 cleaned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MY01SHADOW

Reaction score
Hello,

Quick question on reg cleaning for recreational Nitrox use. I've had these regs for just about a 10 months and have about 12-15 dives on them using only air. Don't know if all that air was "clean" air since much of it came from a couple of different local quarries' compressors with the balance coming from a Ft. Lauderdale dive boat's tanks. Do I need to have them O2 cleaned and if I do, will use of air from the same compressors void their O2 rating?

Thanks,

Mike

If you're using Nitrox mixes below 40%, there is no need to ever have your reg O2 clean. Regs only need to be O2 cleaned for higher O2 concentrations.

you are safe with a recerational nitrox mix.

jonnythan:
If you're using Nitrox mixes below 40%, there is no need to ever have your reg O2 clean. Regs only need to be O2 cleaned for higher O2 concentrations.

This is right on BUT if the shop providing Nitrox fills uses partial pressure blending (100% 02 mixed with air in your tank) you will need the gear 02 cleaned. Many places (at least in my area) offer pre-mixed Nitrox so I do not need anything 02 cleaned for less than EAN40.

--Matt

matt_unique:
This is right on BUT if the shop providing Nitrox fills uses partial pressure blending (100% 02 mixed with air in your tank) you will need the gear 02 cleaned. Many places (at least in my area) offer pre-mixed Nitrox so I do not need anything 02 cleaned for less than EAN40.

--Matt

Gear = tanks and valves?

matt_unique:

--Matt
Yeah but that pure O2 never touches your reg. All that has to be cleaned for partial pressure blending is the tank and the valve. Your reg only 'feels' the mixed variety.

MY01SHADOW:
Hello,

Do I need to have them O2 cleaned and if I do, will use of air from the same compressors void their O2 rating?

Thanks,

Mike
Simple one word answer, NO!

Gary D.

Ha ha ha - yes of course - I totally blanked in my reply. My head is still numb from the cold water temps today (35 F). >40% everything must be 02 cleaned. <40% no worries except for tanks if getting pp fills.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom