Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Distribution block question.....

Registered

Truk again June'14; this time
    with an UTD MX KISS mCCR
    Rebreather

South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA, Planet Earth, a blue world 71% water & third planet from a G2 yellow dwarf star, in the Milky Way Galaxy two thirds of the way out from the center on the inner edge of the Orion–Cygnus arm.
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver View Post
    I just use a breakaway clip on the long hose ... which is on my right tank. I use a clip that secures the second stage quite easily, is easily detached, and if desireable just as easily reattached ...

Can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't be able to instantly donate that reg, whether I'm breathing off it or not.

I just don't get what problem the manifold system solves. I can think of several potential problems it introduces ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    I'm not sure thats a testament to anything, to be honest.

I would expect the same if someone were to get Lamar Hires to help them out with a Nomad for a few days, one of the Hollis(Sr/Jr) guys to orient you in the SMS for a few days, Steve B to get you into a Razor for a few days, so on and so forth...

This is where I'm confused by the direction you went with the Z system. You went away from the minimilist approach by quite a bit with the addition of the gas block - semi - manifold design, in order to keep "scalability" and "interchangability". The problem is the truly minimilistic approach to sidemount would have been a simple harness design thats been around for decades(the Razor wasn't the first) and its every bit as scalable and interchangable as the Z, without the clutter and potential failure points.

Why do you think the traditional sidemount configurations fall short on scalability? Consistancy? Interchangability?

This is all very easy to do with the Nomad or SMS setups. Strapping a set of doubles or breather to the Razor would obviously require some amount of headaches, but you're getting more away from "adding and additional tool to the bag" for the sake of universal useability.

You can have all this, aside from inputs(and aren't necessary), with any sidemount setup, without any modifications.

I

Yet is inferior to traditional sidemount where that manifold doesn't exist to fail, you simply go to your other(already open) cylinder. Where you don't have to dick with a valve to get the gas you need, and the regulator is already in place and accessible.

You added the manifold/gasblock, with all its inputs, put it in a place where it would recieve the majority of contact if one were to actually use the sidemount system in a sidemount situation, and created a situation where you cannot make a one step self rescue. You have to find your regulator(stowed, or plug it in), then crank your valve open, then breath. You did all this for the sake of a 50% possibility that you may have to swap regulators(on the assumption you need extra hose) after a perfectly safe, perfectly roomy gas donation to someone else.

No, its not.
    Not only gross unfamiliarity . . . but just gross *period*. . .
    <ba dum tiss>
    "Luck is the residue of design."
    Branch Rickey.

"A Life is not important . . .except in the impact it has on other Lives."
    Jackie Robinson.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" --Louis Pasteur

is an entanglement hazard

Dives
    500 - 999
    How do you factor minimum gas required to account for the time/gas lost while you shutdown, disconnect, retrieve and substitute a second stage should you have a failure downstream from the first stages at the point of max duration/penetration? Do you assume no more loss (and thus reserve requirements) than traditional SM or do you pad your volume to take into account the amount of gas lost through a LP hose while all that is going on.

And do you shut down both valves to preserve as much gas as you can (thus leaving yourself holding your breath) or sacrifice one tank right off to ensure a more rapid deployment of your back up system, and if so, which one. I'm thinking of a failure behind your head wherein you cannot tell which side it's coming from, not that it matters in this case I think because the whole system is, in effect, one big tank.
    If no one reinvented the wheel we'd still be driving around on stone wheels.

My personal website: http://www.manfish.ca/
    Fraser Valley Scuba Club: http://www.fvscuba.org/
    Cultus Lake Project:Cultus Lake Project

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Team protocols. turn off both tanks, signal oog to team mate, share gas, deploy stowed second stage, and breath off it. Same minimum gas / rock bottom for any team based diving - enough to get you and a ream member to the surface while completing any deco.
    James
    Considering an Open Water Class? If so, please read this and this.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by amascuba View Post
    Team protocols. turn off both tanks, signal oog to team mate, share gas, deploy stowed second stage, and breath off it. Same minimum gas / rock bottom for any team based diving - enough to get you and a ream member to the surface while completing any deco.
    Good thing I spent all that time explaining to DIR critics that believing in a good team doesn't mean you give up the ability to self-rescue....
    SuPrBuGmAn and aquaregia like this.

Registered

thinks SuPrBuGmAn is grumpy

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    lol

Registered

thinks LiteHedded has a pretty
    mouth

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    ...turn off both tanks...
    System failure.
    The best springs in life are free.

Registered

pissed that people keep
    killing themselves

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Good lord. And I've always believed that I over-analyze ****.

Just reading this thread is giving me the sweats.

Bottom line is that Sidemount is independent doubles... another tool, another application, another day.

If you are not comfortable with the configuration and the contingencies it offers, dive something else. (This reminds me of slobwinders on manifolded doubles... )
    Steve Lewis
    Become a better diver... Sidemount, Advanced Wreck, Helitrox Deco, Full Trimix and CCR courses available...

Read what students say about training with me... My BLOG might interest you too.

Order Six Skills...HERE>>> or my latest book, Staying Alive HERE>>>

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    This all sounds way more complicated than my sidemount rebreather.

Registered

Sir Silts-a-Lot

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Shut off all your gas?!?

Youve got to be kidding, this is hilarious!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Shut off all your gas?!?
    Almost makes me want to enroll in a $1500 advanZZZed sidemount course just to see if an instructor can teach that without laughing.
    -James

"You've got the rest of your life to work through any problem that comes up while diving"
    NACD: "Learners Permit"
    NAUI: OW
    http://jamesg.net/

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast