if you are thinking of trying this....DO IT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
not sure if this is the best place to post this but if anyone is researching side mount diving and thinking of giving it a go......you should definitely do it.
i just had a chance to try it out in the caverns in mexico and loved it. obviously it is a bit awkward at first when you are getting everything on and sorted out. but it really is pretty basic and simplistic in design. and it really takes a load off the old back. and best of all it makes buoyancy and trim a whole lot easier. i would definitely want to do it again. hmmmmm.....maybe another specialty to ad to the list ???

thx to Frank at BlueLife for giving me the opportunity to try it out

Yep, that's how I got started 2010 first exposure to sidemount , then again in 2012. I'm a convert.

Mike D

We are glad you enjoyed this configuration! You came a long way during your training in Mexico. Frank is really proud of your development as a diver! CONGRATULATIONS!
Looking forward to diving with you again!
:)

if anyone is researching side mount diving and thinking of giving it a go......you should definitely do it.

Amen. I was sold from the first time I did a demo. It's the only way I can dive doubles, due to spine surgery in my past. Until I discovered sidemount doubles, I thought I'd never be able to pursue tech diving. Comfort, streamlining, trim, practicality. Can't "go back" after this.

Coming soon! I've begun the legwork into starting SM diving next spring since I have just started into Tec diving. However, despite being young and in relatively good shape, I have no desire to haul twin steel 100's up a ladder on a rocking boat in the North Atlantic right now while carrying 24 lbs of lead on top of that.

I'll be starting up in the Spring. Starting with some pre-reading right now, and will have the PADI manual on its way shortly.

However, despite being young and in relatively good shape, I have no desire to haul twin steel 100's up a ladder on a rocking boat in the North Atlantic right now while carrying 24 lbs of lead on top of that.

Or staggering around a heaving boat with them on your back BEFORE you jump in. Sidemount, boats and cliplines are a match made in heaven. After we jump in, I usually have my bottles clipped to me and bungeed before my buddies even have a chance to straighten up and get ready for descent.

Or staggering around a heaving boat with them on your back BEFORE you jump in. Sidemount, boats and cliplines are a match made in heaven. After we jump in, I usually have my bottles clipped to me and bungeed before my buddies even have a chance to straighten up and get ready for descent.
That too! Even a single steel tank and a 40 cf. pony is rough on choppy seas.

Congrats! What rig were you diving? I'm assuming it was a Stealth since it was with Frank.

Tim, what rig are you planning on picking up? PM me if you don't want to derail the thread.

Tim, what rig are you planning on picking up? PM me if you don't want to derail the thread.
Haven't made it that far... will be trying it out with rental gear at first... if I decide to continue to move forward and invest in a SM rig, I'll be doing more research.

Haven't made it that far... will be trying it out with rental gear at first... if I decide to continue to move forward and invest in a SM rig, I'll be doing more research.

Well, be aware that many "sidemount instructors" have about add much experience as you do. Choosing the right instructor is CRUCIAL.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom