Razor Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After nearly endless attempts to make adjustments for small other changes like exposure protection, and endless related annoyance, i'm considering cutting that giant crotch strap in half so heart goes from the Delta played to the mini backplate, and it's separate from the crotch strap attaching to the mini backplate.

Can anyone tell me why this is a really bad idea? Any suggestions on the best way to get the webbing loops to attach to themselves? Has anyone tried this and if so what was your experience?

One way I'm considering doing this is to have the spinal portion also the T weight webbing. With a Triglide holding it onto the mini backplate. Any thoughts?

I understand the theory of continuous webbing, but I'm not using any fastex clips and it doesn't seem to me that a Triglide is a failure point.

I've built a couple of Razor-styled harnesses, one for my Manta wing and one for my Stealth wing. I've also modified my Armadillo rig. In all cases, I added an additional custom plate, made from marine grade aluminum, to route the shoulder straps separately from the waist strap. This makes it easy to make adjustments or add/remove things to the shoulder straps. The attached photo shows the harness I use for the Stealth. Note the custom plate and the addition of a butt plate. The crotch strap is also separate from the spine strap. I've made lots of dives with these rigs and they are quite reliable and comfortable. I think insisting a harness must consist of a single piece of continuous webbing is either a marketing ploy or a philosophical argument.

Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404817819.893128.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404817848.858299.jpg

Oh, I posted that to the Facebook Sidemount group in May. It's real easy to attach/detach from any piece of 2" webbing. I held it on my waist strap while diving a single-tank BM rig the other day, too. The bicycle inner tube adds the right amount of friction so the canister does not slip or rotate. This is a LightMonkey 12 watt "sidemount" light, but the idea could be adapted to other lights.

Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404828833.442589.jpg

Oh that's very clever. I'm using the mounting plate from the stealth system and I don't think I'll switch but I'm impressed.

Thanks. I'm really into grommets right now. :)

Dave

Lol yeah I had a grommet thingy for a bit I could never get them to not rust. I figure for most used you can just drill a hole in the webbing and burn it closed

---------- Post added July 9th, 2014 at 09:17 AM ----------

Ok here's what I did... The big remaining question is what to do to secure the crotch strap, I hate how it bunches up.
umugusuj.jpg
vavyba6a.jpg
5uvybyty.jpg
3upy6y4u.jpg

HaHa, use a SS grommet so it won't bunch up (or rust)? Then, adjust the length of the crotch (or spine) strap by managing the slack on the other end?

Or, just moving the belt slide further away from the mini-back plate will let the webbing lay flatter, so it won't bunch as much.

Dave

Gee why didn't I think of those things? The grommets I tried failed for differential metal corrosion. And the bunching occurs because of the relative positions of the wing and the mbp.

So, why can't you use compatible metals, or change the relative positions to the mbp? The razor comes stock with SS grommets, those are holding up right?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom