Anyone switched from sms100 to sms75? How is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did training on the 100 and now dive the 75. 75 is less bulky but less lift. Already comes setup in a manner in which it has all those little things you needed to fix or add to the 100. I do not have too much experience in sidemount to make a call.

Did training on the 100 and now dive the 75. 75 is less bulky but less lift. Already comes setup in a manner in which it has all those little things you needed to fix or add to the 100. I do not have too much experience in sidemount to make a call.

What are the things you have to fix or add to the 100? Are these things you need to add available from Hollis or are they "D.I.Y"?

What are the things you have to fix or add to the 100? Are these things you need to add available from Hollis or are they "D.I.Y"?

It was not anything you ever "had" to fix. Just really good practical modifications that made the SM unit really good for cave diving. They are all DIY modifications nothing came from Hollis. The modifications that come standard on the 75 that did not on the 100 are Smaller upper bladder leaving most of the lift on the bottom of the rig. The sholder straps go directly down to the waist belt rather then to the back pad. The inflator is routed to the bottom with a pull dump on top. They changed the rails to smaller rings. Also comes standard with the loop bungee.

I dove the 75 and it was ok but I really felt out of place as I love my 100. It felt the same but different. Everything was in familiar spot just felt off.

More DIY or send to Edd at Cave Adventures and have him do it.

Are they that extensive and difficult to do to the point where one needs to send them out to Mr. Edd? Any idea of what these modifications are and if kits are available to DIY?

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 11:04 PM ----------

It was not anything you ever "had" to fix. Just really good practical modifications that made the SM unit really good for cave diving. They are all DIY modifications nothing came from Hollis. The modifications that come standard on the 75 that did not on the 100 are Smaller upper bladder leaving most of the lift on the bottom of the rig. The sholder straps go directly down to the waist belt rather then to the back pad. The inflator is routed to the bottom with a pull dump on top. They changed the rails to smaller rings. Also comes standard with the loop bungee.

I dove the 75 and it was ok but I really felt out of place as I love my 100. It felt the same but different. Everything was in familiar spot just felt off.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until I sent my reply above :)

You think that Hollis will change the 100 to integrate what appear to be very popular modifications in the next catalog?

Are they that extensive and difficult to do to the point where one needs to send them out to Mr. Edd? Any idea of what these modifications are and if kits are available to DIY?

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 11:04 PM ----------

Sorry, I didn't see your reply until I sent my reply above :)

You think that Hollis will change the 100 to integrate what appear to be very popular modifications in the next catalog?

I dont think Hollis will change the 100. What they did do was create the SMS75 and the SMS50 and incorporated many of the modifications that have taken place on the 100s being sold. I believe they will keep the 100s the same. The modifications are not hard to do your self you just need a few basic things you can get at a dive shop.

On a second note modifying your rig is really a matter of personal reasons and not a general "this is the way it should be" deal. You make the mods that make sense to you and the ones that are particle for the diving you do..

Are you thinking of buying a 100? I can send you detailed pictures of the modifications and you can compare it to a stock unit.

Are you thinking of buying a 100? I can send you detailed pictures of the modifications and you can compare it to a stock unit.

At some point, yes, when it is time for it :wink:

Please do send them if you can.

Do you dive SM exclusively now?

At some point, yes, when it is time for it :wink:

Please do send them if you can.

Do you dive SM exclusively now?

Oh yes. I have been diving my SMS100 for 2 years. Have over 100 dives on it. No more BM for me unless I'm in the Keys diving.

I will break out the camera tomorrow,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom