Stages and deco bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoutlover

Registered
Reaction score
I have the modified SMS100 and have not been satisfied with carrying deco and stage bottles. I use HP130'S as main tanks and Al 80's as stages and deco bottles. I had been front slinging them and it was just too sloppy. On my last dive I took one Al 80 and went behind the main tank on my right side and clipped the top to a shoulder D-ring, and the bottom to the butt plate. I was very happy with that but then my buddy told me the tail was floating pretty bad towards the end of the dive. Any suggestions? I want to say I've seen some people in cave country using bungees to keep the tail down but I didn't pay that much attention at the time.

depending on your tail length you can run it to a hip D-ring. I use something similar to robs but don't cross my waist with it, just run it down to the hip D-rings. They stay tucked in pretty well Other option if you're using cam bands is to put a D-ring on your backgas cam band and a super short leash, think backup light boltsnap, and clip it into that. That is my cold water with gloves solution

It's all about fixing the position of the valve. I clip the top boltsnap through the bungee I use to secure my SPG...then clip it to the shoulder dring. It makes the cylinder almost incapable of floating ass up.

I've never seen a top mounter that didn't have their stages near vertical on exiting the cave. And the people who bottom mount a dir rigged stage often have a flailing tank when they kick.

I rig my deco bottle bottom mount like everyone else, and I run my stages "Dave style". My dive buddy came up with a way to rig for bottom mount that is awesome. You don't even notice the bottle and it tucks in right under your primary. And it's still easy to attach your deco cylinder.

He explained it recently in this thread. Read the loquat149 comments

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sidemount-diving/486924-razor-configuration-2.html

I would post pictures and give an explanation, but I 100% stole the idea from him last year, so he gets credit.

I loop the bottom clip back over the 'fuel hose bit' of the stage kit to shorten the length for starters. Like tbone has suggested I clip it onto my hip dring. Still not 100% happy worth it that way but happy enough until I see someone with a better way.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

the way I always looked at it is, you are on your way out or pretty close to the exit when your tail gets floaty. Why get all crazy with attaching your tank all over the place.

the way I always looked at it is, you are on your way out or pretty close to the exit when your tail gets floaty. Why get all crazy with attaching your tank all over the place.

Not destroying the cave going out is AS important as not destroying it on the way in...

Having floaty tanks may mean the difference to the roof of the cave or other. Being streamlined is an art that should be practiced during the entire dive in my opinion.

Having a bungee that pulls the stage down on top of the primary cylinder is the way to go IMHO.

Garth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom