Back Roll off a boat... Will I die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone doing sidemount entries this way? I will have two aluminum 80s. Anything to watch for for? (I have this fear of ending up hanging by my hoses and being beaten in the face by the bottles while a squid pulls my mask off...):scared:

Can I get in the water first with my camera?

Seriously, a back roll requires rotating your body through 180 degrees quickly after hitting the water. Going in with two tanks on the side seems very suboptimal.

Just finished a weekend trip in which 8 out of 10 were diving sidemount. All had to back roll. Some with 130s. Nobody had any problems. It was about a 1.5 metre drop.

Hawkwood has the winning answer!

Steve_C- I am getting dizzy just thinking too hard about how to rotate. Photo op requires a tip.

I had no problems doing this with two AL80s off of a rib. I've also done it off of Newtons and a Burpee. Sidemount is not my preference for the last two, but it is the way to go off of a rib.

Thanks NetDoc. This is not my preference for these dives but is dictated by other needs. Thanks for boosting my confidence!

Just make sure you are facing the right way. I saw a guy on a boat in Tobermory many years ago who decided to do a modified front face-plant entry from a charter boat. He apparently re-thought at the last minute, sat up in his outward-facing position, and did a beaut of a back-roll... right onto the steel deck. Mercifully, he didn't crack his skull, but he did make a pretty amazing clang. :banghead:

Back roll with Worthington LP85s is fine. Just takes a tad longer to recover so make sure reg's in the mouth (second stage). No squids in Lake Michigan but watch out for ferocious zebra mussels.

Anyone doing sidemount entries this way? I will have two aluminum 80s. Anything to watch for for? (I have this fear of ending up hanging by my hoses and being beaten in the face by the bottles while a squid pulls my mask off...):scared:

Back
Top Bottom