Stage Rigging Methods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
So, in a bit of an embarassing twist, I promised my instructor I'd have a more clever stage mounting system than what he was currently using. I haven't had a chance to play with AL80s yet (outside of class), but am looking for ideas. I've tried the "Rob Neto" method and found it to be a pain. I've tried the "Traditional Edd" method as well as the "John Weston" variant (I hope he sees that and chuckles) but didn't have great results with Edd's method without the Weston variant but I don't like the Weston variant on principle. To be clear, the Neto is short top leash with a long bottom bungee stretched from one side of you to a d-ring on the opposite hip. Edd's method is a short bottom bungee clipped off to the door rail first and a longer bungee on the neck clipped to your chest. The "Weston" variant is a bungee from your buttplate to your main tank to hold the tail down. My only complaint with the Weston mod is it uses an extra piece of gear which really shouldn't be necessary. If it didn't work so well, I'd be less likely to consider it.

All of the above methods are for "top mounting" a stage, which is currently what I'm leaning towards. However, I'm totally open to front-mounting a stage as long as it's neatly tucked up and away. My requirements are that it be modular, easy to don and doff, and mount the tank as cleanly as possible. My first attempt is going to involve some razor-style shenanigans to get it mounted right.

What are you guys doing to mount your stages in SM?

Gave up on top mounting. The guys in Marianna love it and I have no clue why. I do like robs mod but I'm very happy bottom mounting. Other than robs video I've never seen a top mounter That didn't look like they were going to bang the ceiling when they let their tank get light.

Both front mounting and backmounting stages have their advantages and disadvantages. Backmount is definitely a cleaner profile till the tanks get breathed down and thus some way of holding them down must be used. I am currently using John's method and it works great except for the problem that I forget to clip off the bungee when it is not in use. This is user error but it has come to my attention that I need something idiot proof. I have also found out it doesn't work well with more than 1 stage on each side. I have rigged up my lp 50's like a stage and plan on trying that. According to the data I have seen they stay negative when sucked down. They are alot smaller than an al 80 so they should be able to squeeze through some restrictions I have been diving lately. I will let you know how they work.

I like top mounting the stages and cinching them down and use Rob's method, with which I have no issues at all.
Other than that, I also like the looks of the tanks with John's new way of attaching them, but I'm no fan of the added hardware.

Either way, if you look at this video from minutes one to three, you can easily imagine what a different type of stage rigging would cause, both the classic bottom mounting and the old floaty top mounting.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX5QYjqpnoo)

Victor, exactly what aspect of Rob's method did you find painful?

eternaljonah, I saw that video a few weeks ago and did learn some lessons from it. His setup is drastically different from mine, though, so it's hard to use it as a direct thieving-point as I'm diving an SMS100 with heavy steel mains. The thing I found super interesting with his was that he clipped off the stages above his mains and then pushed the tail back to get the nose to go down and forwards. You can see it at 2:26 in that video My setup is different because of how much lower I clip off my tanks, but I think the idea is still there.

Oliver: My problem is actually donning and doffing the tank. I have a very hard time doing it, and I've found it completely impossible to do mostly one-handed. Fishing the long bottom clip through the tank and then up and around and over......it lead to me dropping the clip several times and it took FAR too long for me to do it. Rob seems to get good results out of it, which is why I tried emulating it....but it's just not there for me. I think it has to do with where my clip is.

Eric: I've long thought a pair of LP50s would FAR outperform AL80s, especially if they had a good, hot cave fill. My only issue with them is price. I just got four AL80s for what a new LP50 goes for. I know you have them for your tight-spots-diving, and I'd love to have a pair for lots of reasons. If you want to play with staging LP50s next time I'm down there, let me know and we'll plan something. Are you planning on running them Edd's way without the Weston-bungee?

rddvet: How are you front-mounting yours? Are the staying tucked up and away and clean or hanging far below you? My only issue with front mounting is I haven't found a way of cleaning up how the tanks hang. I'd be very interested in seeing/hearing how you do yours.

eternaljonah, I saw that video a few weeks ago and did learn some lessons from it. His setup is drastically different from mine, though, so it's hard to use it as a direct thieving-point as I'm diving an SMS100 with heavy steel mains. The thing I found super interesting with his was that he clipped off the stages above his mains and then pushed the tail back to get the nose to go down and forwards. You can see it at 2:26 in that video My setup is different because of how much lower I clip off my tanks, but I think the idea is still there.

Oliver: My problem is actually donning and doffing the tank. I have a very hard time doing it, and I've found it completely impossible to do mostly one-handed. Fishing the long bottom clip through the tank and then up and around and over......it lead to me dropping the clip several times and it took FAR too long for me to do it. Rob seems to get good results out of it, which is why I tried emulating it....but it's just not there for me. I think it has to do with where my clip is.

Eric: I've long thought a pair of LP50s would FAR outperform AL80s, especially if they had a good, hot cave fill. My only issue with them is price. I just got four AL80s for what a new LP50 goes for. I know you have them for your tight-spots-diving, and I'd love to have a pair for lots of reasons. If you want to play with staging LP50s next time I'm down there, let me know and we'll plan something. Are you planning on running them Edd's way without the Weston-bungee?

rddvet: How are you front-mounting yours? Are the staying tucked up and away and clean or hanging far below you? My only issue with front mounting is I haven't found a way of cleaning up how the tanks hang. I'd be very interested in seeing/hearing how you do yours.

I'm sure my buddy will pop up on here and post photos. It's his invention so I don't want to steal his thunder. I did fail to mention that traditional bottom mountain sucks. This is a very specific way and it keeps the tank sucked in very tight and I think more cleanly than even top mount with a full tank.

I'm sure my buddy will pop up on here and post photos. It's his invention so I don't want to steal his thunder. I did fail to mention that traditional bottom mountain sucks. This is a very specific way and it keeps the tank sucked in very tight and I think more cleanly than even top mount with a full tank.

Here's how I rig mine, nice and simple:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sidemount-diving/486924-razor-configuration.html#post7170452

Dave

we've discussed, but with heavier steels, I like the bent d-ring on the main bottle, super short bungee on the stage, and a longer clip to head up to the chest d-ring. I actually use the o-ring on my bungees, but know you guys don't use them, so that isn't an option.

[video=youtube;ygPkE6OBCmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPkE6OBCmc&list=UUVCYEickXcRonYDFqvvZ4hw[/video]

Almost identical to that, but even shorter on the lower attachment point. I'm not sure how this would work for some of your primary bottles since you run the cam bands very low, especially on your E7-100's with them almost at the bottom, but it works with my setup.

Donning process:
Reach back and flip the bent D-ring up
unclip neck clip from the line-can actually attach via the tail clip for convenience, but it doesn't matter. I clip the neck in but grab the neck bolt snap with the hand opposite of the side the stage is going to ride, so for first stage pickup, or single stage diving it is grab the bolt with my right hand.
Turn bottle on.
Left hand grabs the bottom bolt snap and clips the butt to the primary bottle.
Reach up and grab the top leash, the second stage is clipped to the bolt snap on here so as you pull the leash up to the chest D-ring the second stage comes up to where you need it.

Doffing is similar, but adds pulling the rest of the hose through the retainer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom