Wing/Drysuit Hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount_Stu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive an Xdeep Stealth but until recently was using Apeks DS4 1st stages with standard length hoses for wing and Drysuit inflate.

I've just bought DST 1st stages with 5th port so now need much shorter hoses.

Looking at the Apeks SM regulator set, it comes with 20cm hoses for inflation, but my rough measurement leaves me thinking that might be too short?

Does anyone here dive a Stealth with DST 1st stages? If so, what hose length for inflation is ideal?

Thanks

It's identical for a Razor and any similar system: as short as possible, even at the cost of comfort
They should not pull on the tanks to much when those are in ideal position however, obviously.

Switching regulators from Mares MR42 and 22s myself this year that is comparable to the DS4 a bit at least.
I was very happy at the time with rubber 35cm Hollis SMS50 hoses, still miss those a lot after half a year with Apeks.
I am of very slight build myself, so most people probably need slightly longer hoses than I do.
But as short as possible seems to be the only way to do it.

When I tried to set up the new first stages I bought every Miflex hose-length available (rubber hoses of that length are not available at all around here) down to 15cm and found 20cm a good fit for the drysuit and 25cm for the wing inflator .

Shorter seemed to be a pain to connect.
But they always started making ugly loops at some time during the dive.

I am now at 15cm (they are actually a little longer than that) both and might even try a 10cm - if I can find one someday.

So give the 20cm a try, they will likely be a pain to connect first, but you probably get used to that after some time.

Last edited:
It's identical for a Razor and any similar system: as short as possible, even at the cost of comfort

Why?

Okay that question was too short.

"Why "even at the cost of comfort" ?" and "why would you want the shortest possible?"

nothing should ever compromise comfort, there is a way to route them in a comfortable fashion without causing comfort losses. Braided hoses help a great deal. Best way is to put your regs on like normal with your existing inflator hoses and measure where they want to sit, then get as close to that measurement as you can. You can actually do this on land, so worth trying. You can't have them much shorter than 20cm otherwise you can't push the tanks out in front of you in restrictions. You can usually swing them forward, but can't get them any farther out than the hoses which means your profile is larger than it could be. Also have to factor in your ability to orally inflate your wing so you have to have them long enough to reach your mouth.

Put the gear together ( can even Go for a dive) with your current hose and a ruler. with the hose disconnected and routed the way you want it measure the extra hose length beyond the connection and subtract it from your current hose length. Order your hose for the new measurement. fit will then be custom for your needs.

"Why "even at the cost of comfort" ?
Because a hose length that fits properly will most likely feel uncomfortable first.
You have to get used to gripping them the right way to attach on the first try and things like that.
In horizontal position such an uncomfortable setup will be highly comfortable.

" and "why would you want the shortest possible?"
To avoid the hoses sticking away from the body in small loops. Very bad if you like restriction squeezing. Very ugly in other cases and tends to entangle with other hoses, arms, computers, second stages, you name it...

---------- Post added October 26th, 2014 at 12:18 AM ----------

...otherwise you can't push the tanks out in front of you in restrictions.
You most likely have a lot more experience there than I do, but:

Depends very much on the divers build and position of the drysuit intake valve.
When pushing the tanks in front of you you can always disconnect inflators.
I do that on the drysuit side anyway since I once got stuck with the drysuit inflator button pressed against the ground, funny to watch I am sure, but not funny from inside the inflating suit.
The wing inflator hose can be pulled forward quite far even connected and one tank forward nearly gives an identically small profile to both forward.

Because a hose length that fits properly will most likely feel uncomfortable first.
You have to get used to gripping them the right way to attach on the first try and things like that.
In horizontal position such an uncomfortable setup will be highly comfortable.

Well, I guess my setup must be terrible, because it feels perfectly comfortable in all positions (except on my back, but that's due to me losing my orientation).

My (beginners) view on this is as follows.
A shorter hose will, depending on your setup:
- pull the inflator to the left (if that one is on weak bungee or not held in place at all)
- pull the tank to the front (if the inflator is held in place with cord, some people seem to do that)

and in any case, it will keep your tank from going up behind your shoulder, which is actually where you'd want it to be.

Furthemore, using a too short hose for the suit as well will result in the suit being pulled towards the tank (if trilam), probably not too comfortable.
Finally, it would also result in a wonderful A-shape of your tanks.

Where a hose that is slightly too long will result in:
- some slack in the hose, resulting in the hose going maybe up to a few cm away from your body.
And that's about all I can think of.

So I don't see any point in wanting the shortest hose possible there. I might change my views on it later on, but at this moment, 25 works fine for me (actually i think it's 23.. for those who think that'd make any difference). I'd prefer too long than too short.

@Patoux01
Quite right.
The extremely short hoses for 5th-port first stages, however, are also are very rigid, they do not have slack in the sense you imply.
If you choose longer ones they may also tilt the tanks in undesired ways.

The DST is very large bringing the 5th port very close to the body anyway.

With most first stages it does not matter that much which tank position you choose (more 'Steve', or more 'Edd'), distance does not change a lot, just angles.

Most people do not have a chest width of 50 cm and only then you really require more then 20 cm of hose to reach the drysuit valve in the middle of it and most drysuits have those slightly off-center, shortening the required hose on one side.

Back
Top Bottom