Nomad LT Extreme for Height

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oya

Rebreather Pilot
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Thinking very seriously about hopping into a cheap Nomad LT Extreme, but there's one thing giving me pause...

I'm quite tall. About 6'6".

Anyone out there in cyberland who is weirdly tall and dives one of these? What are your impressions over time? How is the balance between getting the butt-plate and the center-of-lift low and keeping the over-the-shoulder inflator from sitting right on TOP of your shoulder?

I briefly took one of these for a test flight a while ago and liked it, but now that the wallet is about to come out I'm second-guessing.

Have you called Lamar yet? I would call him personally. He will give you the low down on your height and experience. I'm sure he has received more feedback than you will find on scubaboard.

Garth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6'8" and dove the LT Bluewater for two weeks down in bonaire. I didn't have much trouble with the inflator being too high and the butt plate was just right for the al80s I was using. I'm looking at using LP50s or LP85s just for some longer tanks for my monkey arms.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2014 at 06:58 PM ----------

Lots of the staff at Buddy Dive tried out the new LTZ while we were down there, a lot of them over 6'5" and Lamar got them sized amazingly well -- took him all of 3 minutes each.

I like the inflator routing from below instead of over the shoulder, which would help on height concerns as well.

witht he inflator you can always replace the corrugated hose.... Not a problem at all and only about $20 from dive gear express. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it. I'm only 6'4", but have short legs and it wasn't an issue for me, felt like every other backplate does for me which is why my Nomad is custom and has a few extra inches put in the back.

Backplate? The LT doesn't have a backplate... Do you mean buttplate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The regular Nomad EXP does have a soft backplate in the form of the Transpac it is built on. I've got one of the last official tall sizes they made, but Lamar said that the new 'normal' sized transpacs are basically the same as the old talls and the smaller folks are accommodated with the shoulder and hip pads that can be swapped out. So I won't need to rip apart my Nomad EXP to create a tall travel setup for myself.

Garth, no meant backplate, the rig is about the same height as the "regular" transpacs so that is why it felt the same. The new XT transpac is definitely not the same as the "XXL Tall" that my nomad is built on, they didn't change the height that much. This is what my Nomad looks like on a tall transpac, very different than the current ones. The OP will be fine with the LTX though since it is an integrated unit.

WP_20140723_006.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom