D-rings in sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where do you put your D-rings on your sidemount rig, and why? My Halcyon Contour came with 2 on the right shoulder strap, and 3 on the left one, and they are in odd alignment: bottom shoulder D-ring on right strap, on which I clip the tank, aligns with the top one on the left (and all that, of course, in addition to 2 D-rings on the waist, and 2 rails in the back). They all must have a purpose... the top right one seems to be used for a backup light that is mounted on the shoulder. The purpose of the two bottom D-rings on the left is unclear to me. Other rigs seem to be configured differently...

They are for whatever you need them for :) Clipping off a camera, some extra double enders, I clip my inflator hose across my chest to a d-ring to keep it tight to my body.

Sure, I'm just wondering if there are tried and proven ways to do things... the fact that the number and layout of shoulder D-rings out of the box is asymmetric suggests to me that the purpose of each D-ring has been carefully considered, and corresponds to some common practice that I'm not aware of.

I just have 2 shoulder d rings (1 on each side) as they are only used for clipping cylinders too when on the surface & clipping a camera or backup torch too. I use the loop bungee, so once in the water, I unclip the top cylinder connection and let the bungee do its work. My spare double enders go either in my butt d ring or one on each shoulder ready for exiting. Spools on my butt d ring. Waist d rings for cylinder attachment only.

should be bottom ones on each side are tank/bungee clips as well as chest strap if you swap it.

next up should be stage/regulator clipoffs and backup lights.

these should be in the same spot though.never seen a contour with three rings.... post some pics

See below. I made minimal adjustments, but overall, the layout is still as it came out of the box. I think you are suggesting that the two top left D-rings should go up to get aligned with the right side, and the top ones to be used for clipping off stages? Do you clip backups and stages on the same D-rings, backups in the inverted position with the light heads pointing up and behind your neck? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and whoever assembled it just made a mistake... it looks like the 5th (non-bent) chest D-ring was probably moved off the butt tri-glide on the crotch strap, I might as well move it back there.

IMG_3446.jpg

Yes, it looks like TWO mistakes in the assembly: the lower D-ring on the left side shouldn't even be there, and the middle D-ring on the left side should be in the top position, parallel to the right side, and where in the photo it looks like one used to be!

Sure this was not a used or demo unit?

Yes, it looks like TWO mistakes in the assembly: the lower D-ring on the left side shouldn't even be there, and the middle D-ring on the left side should be in the top position, parallel to the right side, and where in the photo it looks like one used to be!

Sure this was not a used or demo unit?

Oh no, pretty sure it's new, it came from a dive shop ran by some serious bad ass cave divers, which is why I have assumed it must be a common practice. The wrinkle in the strap is due to the fact that I shortened the straps and moved all D-rings by one "H" down. I guess I will give them a call on Monday and ask, I just thought it might be something obvious... anyhow, I like the idea of leaving upper D-rings for clipping off regs and for stages, middle ones for tanks, and bottoms ones out. I am inclined to leave the triglide adjacent to the chest strap, and add a matching one on the right side, it seems like it would help to stabilize the position of the chest strap (but maybe that's just theory). Thanks, everyone, and please do continue to share if your layout differs from this... I'm always interested in absorbing new ideas and trying things out.

Oh no, pretty sure it's new, it came from a dive shop ran by some serious bad ass cave divers, which is why I have assumed it must be a common practice. The wrinkle in the strap is due to the fact that I shortened the straps and moved all D-rings by one "H" down. I guess I will give them a call on Monday and ask, I just thought it might be something obvious... anyhow, I like the idea of leaving upper D-rings for clipping off regs and for stages, middle ones for tanks, and bottoms ones out. I am inclined to leave the triglide adjacent to the chest strap, and add a matching one on the right side, it seems like it would help to stabilize the position of the chest strap (but maybe that's just theory). Thanks, everyone, and please do continue to share if your layout differs from this... I'm always interested in absorbing new ideas and trying things out.

I also just got my new Contour a few days ago, and it's set up exactly the same way as in your picture. So this has to be by design, although I'm not sure what the thought behind this is.

I have what I guess is standard for a Razor-esque harness. (Diamond harness + wing but they're near enough the same harness-wise)
2 on the shoulder straps for clipping cylinders/double enders/whatever else I feel the need to,

2 sliding D rings for my cylinders, 2 d rings near the back of my hips for stages and 2 extended d rings to stick a pouch on/reels etc.

Then there's 2 on the crotch strap as per everything.

Have to say I'm interesting in the logic behind the contour setup, I really like the rig.

Back
Top Bottom