Heavy steel-tanks mounted the Steve M way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dezz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey all!

I'm diving cold-water using 12l steel Beaver tanks with the Agir Ratatosk (it's a sweet rig!!), a bit like the razor but prettier :wink:

Currently I'm mounting them on fixed D-rings close to the centre of my back and using a non continuous bungee (it's really nicely attached to the Ratatosk hardware).

I have the tanks pretty well configured for this but upside down they hang down a bit.

I am wondering if it's possible to mount these tanks the Steve M way on the hip D-ring and loop bungee or will they hang too low?

I like the tanks to stay close to me even upside down but the few attempts I've done resulted in very low hanging tanks (in normal position) no matter how much I tried to rotate/counter-rotate them with loops and the clip position. I can't get the same effect as he show in the videos but he's steels looks lighter than mine.

Has anyone been successful with the setup on heavy steels?

Thanks for the link, that's basically the setup I have now, except for the bungees.
If you look just before the end how the tank is clipped, if he'd go inverted they'd hang.

I mean the way Steve M clips them where he dives alu and steels clipped to the same D-ring.

Maybe I'm wrong but but is he diving steel here?
http://youtu.be/Y4rVj2t3-II

I like the tanks to stay close to me even upside down but the few attempts I've done resulted in very low hanging tanks (in normal position) no matter how much I tried to rotate/counter-rotate them with loops and the clip position. I can't get the same effect as he show in the videos but he's steels looks lighter than mine.

I have exactly the same problem using my Steel 12l Flat bottomed Euros on my Stealth rig. No matter what I do, when they're on the hip d ring they hang low. In his videos I think Steve M always use 10's when using steel which seen to have very different characteristics.

I think the answer is either how you have them now (which is what I've also done) or Ali's unfortunately.

Hopefully somebody will be along shortly to prove me wrong... I hope so, I'd also like to find a way!

---------- Post added December 15th, 2014 at 06:53 PM ----------

I don't think the OP is asking about "can they be trimmed" he's asking specifically can they be trimmed when clipped to a hip d ring.

The stealth video you've posted is not using hip d rings, it's using the square d rings around the back. This is how I have mine, they trim lovely in a flat profile, but if you roll over upside down, they hang terribly.

I believe the OP is looking for a solution for this problem, rather than just good flat profile trim, which he already has achieved.

One thing to mention is that hanging upside down is VERY likely going to give you floppy-tanks no matter what you do (with heavy tanks, super-floaties are different). Your bungee just can't quite twist hard enough to overcome the force of the tank hanging. I'm curious, does the "upside down" trick work at all tank pressures with AL80s?

Having said that, do you have a NEED to turn upside-down? I've only ever seen it used to show off, and never actually in any real-world scenarios.

Having said that, do you have a NEED to turn upside-down? I've only ever seen it used to show off, and never actually in any real-world scenarios.

For me, No real world need, but sometimes I just like to play [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

Maybe I'm wrong but but is he diving steel here?
http://youtu.be/Y4rVj2t3-II
Those are steel, but that's not Steve M. (I think, or was he ever connected to pobydivers?).

Yes
If you have the rotation figured out already your cam bands likely have to be moved down the tank an inch.
That should increase the bungee's effect on the tank rotation and lift it up on the boltsnap in the back with the boltsnap in a more horizontal orientation.
The tank should not hang from the boltsnap and ride beside you instead.

You are correct Stu, mostly for show off! :wink: But also because I would like to be able to do alu on vacation without reconfiguration and it looks pretty nice. Like aircrafts; if it looks good, it flies good. :)

Yeah, I got the whole theory Razorista, I'm gonna try moving the boltsnaps around a bit, thanks for the tip!
Guess I need to get into the pool for some experimentation.

Yup, that's Steve, look at the intro. :wink:

...do you have a NEED to turn upside-down? I've only ever seen it used to show off, and never actually in any real-world scenarios.
Need? It helps a lot sometimes (and of course it is a lot of fun).

- inspecting the ceiling in any overhead situation or just looking at the surface, ice, reflections, trees...
- surfacing in areas where SMBs can be expensive if actually seen by anyone
- helping other beginning sidemount divers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fnLP_YrpA (that's also Steve M, by the way)
- helps with looking backwards:
- camera ('leaving the reef')
- big groups

- following playful creatures around with the camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZG5jihsys (and no, my tanks are not hanging good there, can't imagine what distracted me that much ;-) )

- also helps when having to sort out equipment, sorting out and cutting entangled lines (learn from fish-otters how not to drop things while floating ;-) )

and, of course, just for fun.

Actually I am drifting on my back so often I cannot remember every occasion, two or three time each dive at least I assume.

---------- Post added December 15th, 2014 at 09:47 PM ----------

Yup, that's Steve, look at the intro. :wink:
Sorry, I got that link and the Ginnie Spring one mixed up.

Dude, swimming upside down is fun and all, but LITERALLY none of those are "valid" reasons. MAYBE inspecting the ceiling in an overhead situation.

Regardless, the problem with clipping heavy tanks to your waist is that physics is NOT on your side. The tanks WILL sink the length of the clip unless there is a HEAVY rotational force preventing that from happening. This would mean a tighter bungee than you're used to, if it's possible at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom