Jumping into Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty hard to comment without knowing what tanks you will be using, drysuit or wetsuit and the environment...open water, caves. With a little more information you will get lots of help. If you are living in Belize then I assume you will be diving aluminum tanks with a wetsuit. If that is the case the SMS 100 may not be the best system (it is a great rig but there are other rigs that will work better if you are diving wet with aluminum tanks).

for regulators it is all about what you have access to support wise in the area unless you are comfortable servicing yourself.

Rig wise, if you are in Belize you are far better off getting a rig designed for aluminum tank diving and you will be far happier. You are also very close to Steve Bogaerts who is worth contacting as he has really pioneered aluminum tank sidemount diving. He is in Playa Del Carmen and while certainly not the cheapest instruction out there, for the type of diving you have locally, he is certainly one of the best. I also believe there are package deals if you purchase the Razor and training through him, not sure, but believe I have heard that.

I agree with the Tbone and Boner.....the 100 may be a tad much for you if you plan on diving locally with aluminum tanks. With that in mind, tell us more about your diving and what you plan on doing with your sidemount experience.

if you're doing huge dives with lots of stages and need the lift…ok. but i dive fine with 95s and a 50lb wing. yes, i move to the jt if we're adding stages, but straight doubles are fine with the sms50.

Given that I have done over 200 side mount dives without ever owning any "side mount regulators", I would say that the "HOG side mount regulators" will probably be perfectly ok. Just make sure they deliver air. Everything else is a matter of taste...

I do SMS100 with alums 80s. Seems alright in winter or summer. Maybe overkill but SMS100 has a weight plate that is nice during drysuit drives, otherwise it would be less convenient distributing the weight around. Plus, it is a very durable harness, can take much more abuse than the rest smaller ones.

Just got two lp85cu, will see if it is something that will make me fall in love with sidemounting all over.

"HOG side mount regulators" will probably be perfectly ok. Just make sure they deliver air. Everything else is a matter of taste...

Hose routing is important, too. Ports on the top end of the first stage are convenient for connecting the dry suit and wing inflator hoses. Swivel turrets make easier handling of hoses during attaching the cylinders. The HOG 1st stages seem to have both? Then they should be alright. Otherwise it's difficult to beat Apeks Sidemount set.

[h=1]Just getting started and wondering about HOLLIS SMS 100 WITH HOG SIDEMOUNT REGULATORS[/h]

Hop a boat down to CC and chat with the guys at BDS. They sidemount RB in the caves regularly. They might be able to help you out.

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom