Forum descriptions - Basic vs. Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Cave Diver:
Discussion regarding forum names/thread placement has been split off from another thread and continues here. Some recent confusion regarding the purpose of various forums has been brought to the staffs attention and is under discussion. If you have something to contribute, please add it here.

The fact that the OP chose to post this into Advanced Scuba (?) seems to illustrate that there are some very mislead conceptions/assumptions about what the MSD qualification represents.

It is not...

Advanced Diving forum, Special Forum Rules
...the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...e-read-special-forum-rules-terms-service.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Post removed as I am embarrassed to be associated with the silly splitting of the thread.

Last edited:
Even if they didn't read the forum description and misplaced it here... it was on the basis that they thought the MSD rating represented 'Advanced Level Diving'. It doesn't. PADI don't claim that it does.

DevonDiver:
The fact that the OP chose to post this into Advanced Scuba (?) seems to illustrate that there are some very mislead conceptions/assumptions about what the MSD qualification represents.

It is not...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...e-read-special-forum-rules-terms-service.html

Perhaps they were merely trying to avoid:

Basic Scuba Discussions Have a Scuba related question? Get a Scuba related answer here.
Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Looking at the various forums, there isn't really a forum for what most of us would consider basic SCUBA discussions or advanced SCUBA discussions. Since the Advanced Scuba Discussions forum is less restrictive of discussions, the bulk of those discussions take place here.

Why would they want to avoid putting a basic scuba topic into the basic scuba forum?

MSD may be the 'pinnacle' of PADI's recreational training progression, but it is not any level of 'advanced' diving.

Advanced Scuba Discussions - A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc.
If they wanted to avoid the restrictions of the Green Zone (why?), then they could have placed it into another forum, that wasn't 'Advanced Scuba' (such as Q&A for Scuba Agencies).

Putting this debate into the Advanced Scuba area, opens it up to critique with a tech-orientated mindset. Obviously the recreational MSD shouldn't be judged by that yardstick...

Looking at the various forums, there isn't really a forum for what most of us would consider basic SCUBA discussions or advanced SCUBA discussions. Since the Advanced Scuba Discussions forum is less restrictive of discussions, the bulk of those discussions take place here.

The Green Zone isn't restrictive. It merely demands some degree of civility and politeness.
Why would anyone mis-place a recreational post deliberately into a tech-orientated forum, just to enable a potentially aggressive and heated arguement???

It is not...

Yup...............

What's basic to you may not be basic to me. (perception)
Advanced Open Water is not Basic Open Water so anything beyond basic OW would be advanced
Master Diver is above advanced.

Wanna split hairs?

When you look at the "forums page", this is how the "Advanced Scuba Discussions" forum is described:

Have a Scuba question that's beyond a 'basic' one but not really 'technical?' Get it answered here.

So I see what Andy is saying in his description but that's not how it is described when you are looking at it initally. The two descriptions seem to conflict.

Yup...............

What's basic to you may not be basic to me. (perception)
Advanced Open Water is not Basic Open Water so anything beyond basic OW would be advanced
Master Diver is above advanced.

Wanna split hairs?

You can split hairs all that you want.

Special forum rules apply to the Advanced Diving area.

When you register on Scubaboard, you tick 'I agree' to abide by the ToS. Those ToS include the proviso that you need to be aware of, and comply with any Special Forum Rules.

The special forum rules for the Advanced Diver forum state:

Advanced Scuba Discussions - A forum dedicated to discussing the transitional process of migrating from the traditional recreational divng envelope into more advanced areas such as advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc.

What is there to split hairs over?

I think it's pretty clear cut...

Advanced Diving Forum. Have a Scuba question that's beyond a 'basic' one but not really 'technical?' Get it answered here.

This sounds more like your pet peeve than anything. Can we please enjoy the forums without the overzealous micro-managing of topics?

A lot of this is purely subjective and subject to the perception of the user.

Relax

OK, we need a definition for the word basic and you will have to add some more areas.

For example, if I wanted to discuss nitrox, I have no idea what category would be appropriate in your opinion.

Maybe an initial nitrox course would be in the basic and the advanced nitrox would be in the advanced section. No wait, maybe advanced nitrox should be in the technical area. Actually the technical area talks about nitrox but it does not break it down or separate nitrox from advanced nitrox. Please help, I don't know what to do...................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom