enter button not working in IE10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3D diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
FYI: just noticed, starting this morning, using IE10 the enter button doesn't yield a carriage return line feed. In other words, I cannot start a new paragraph by hitting the enter button. It seems to be working fine in Chrome.

Unfortunately, I can't support individual browser related issues.

Thanks.

Same thing for me. I know you do an incredible job Howard and I don't expect a different answer, but IE 10 is about to be your most used browser for your "customers".

It's not us. it's a .vbulletin issue. They have plans to address it in a future release - all this is copied from .vbullletin.org:

Originally posted by DrComputer
I'm not sure how many other people are using Windows 8 with IE 10 and this site, but as an IT guy I always have to use the latest toys. I have noticed that in IE 10 native mode when trying to post or edit a message you cannot insert a return. If you put IE 10 in compatibility mode then you can insert a return when in the editor but you lose all of the cool Windows 8 features like spell checking as you type.

The other solution seems easier:

Use the non wysiwyg editor. It will resolve the problem.

The leftmost icon. Toggle it to blue:

Capture.JPG

One of the .vbulletin support team posted this in reference to a permanent fix:

Pretty sure we've got plans to update the ckeditor to a newer version either in 4.2.1 or after 4.2.1

Last edited:
Same thing for me. I know you do an incredible job Howard and I don't expect a different answer, but IE 10 is about to be your most used browser for your "customers".

Actually. Internet Explorer is #3 for browsers. IE 10 is 3rd most popular browser for those who use IE (which means we receive about 800 people a day using IE10).

Regardless. If and when vBulletin (the developer of the software we use) comes out with a fix for this, then it will be applied. Until then, I'm not going to try to figure it out... sorry.

In the meantime. I'm sure the work around that Steve posted will suffice.. if that's not a good work around.. then I would suggest using a browser that works. (all other browsers)

Rest assured though. As soon as a solution from vBulletin is posted, I will make it happen. :)

vBulletin 4.2.1 has been released, and includes over 143 bug fixes, including IE10 compatibility.

I will work on installing this as soon as I can. With major installs like this, I run a test before I do it on the live site. It may take me a few days to schedule this in to my life.

Unfortunately, as I am posting this from IE 10 (I can say with confidence), the update didn't fix this issue.

The temporary work around is to go to your General Settings, and select "STANDARD Editor" and not WYSIWYG editor.
editor.jpg
There is a compatibility issue with CKeditor (our WYSIWYG) and IE10. This will hopefully be addressed in a subsequent update. I have complained to vBulletin in the meantime.

The kludge-fix is to run IE10 in compatibility mode. You click the "broken" icon at the right end of the address bar. I've done this on other vB sites and it does fix the problem. But for some reason, the "broken" icon doesn't show up on SB.

The Enter Button now works

in IE10

With the WYSIWYG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom