Whats the main use for a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jma1981

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this and just wondering whats the main job for the snorkel.

Is it used only for surface swimming?
I've seen people freedive 100ft down with a mask/snorkel/fins , but they dont even put the mouthpiece of the snorkel in their mouth once their down there, why's that?

:snorkels: Hmm
Should I :ignore:
I really want to :shakehead
I'm really feel :devil_3:ish and it's tempting to :1poke:

But I'm gonna bite.
I've seen people freedive 100ft down with a mask/snorkel/fins , but they dont even put the mouthpiece of the snorkel in their mouth once their down there, why's that?
It's primarily used for SNORKELING near the surface. It doesn't deliver much air at depth, so not much point in having it in your mouth. Many of the folks who can reach 100 feet don't even wear a snorkel. :klo:

Yes, it's only used for "surface swimming". You'll find that many divers (the majority I'd say) don't even use a snorkel. I prefer not to use one as well. When faced with a long surface swim, I find it easier to swim on my back than face down with a snorkel.

___

My main use for a snorkel? It comes in handy when snorkelling.

I do use it to play octopush from time to time too.

String:
My main use for a snorkel? It comes in handy when snorkelling.

I do use it to play octopush from time to time too.

What a splendid idea. What to do with things that don't get much use.:D

Use a snorkel for anytime you're on the surface, and don't want to waste gas.

I use mine about half the time on long surface swims, whenever my face is in the water, like manuvering around kelp, or, when on the surface at boat dives.

Freediving, hunters use snorkels because it lets them keep their faces in the water watching for targets. Competitive apnea divers don't use them, because of it's drag and interferes with good air movement pre-dive and post-dive.

It's a tool, use it if your dive plan might need it. I'll leave mine behind if shooting photos or overhead-restricted.

All the best, James

Great for reaching your dive area without wasting air. I use it when I'm heading to and from my lobster hunting ground.

Its a great tool for holding the lid of my tool box open, or making loud annoying whale type noises and annoying my buddies......other than that it doesnt leave my bag, heck most of the time, it doenst even leave my house....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom