freediving after scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
5ata, I was reading most of the discussion about "compressed air mid-freedive." and had a question. Please keep in mind I've very new to everything here, both scuba and freediving but here it is. You said in a post "And it has been shown that when doing scuba first, there is to be no freediving for 24 hours." (Makes sense to me!)
June's issue of Dive Training has an article about "getting wet during surface intervals. Snorkeling and freediving techniques made easy." But I guess this only applies for a shallow depth. So what is the limit on freediving after scuba? 10 feet? 20?

THANKS

Limit? Zero.

Don't do this. If your body is still offgassing you might create a potentially LETHAL situation by doing this.

yes, we have a bit of a quandry freediving for the boat bouy...try and take turns etc...there is no way around thast I guess you could wear a tank. Even 10-20 feet you have the large volume changes. Maybe they used the term surface interval loosely? Poor choice of words.

With everything I'm reading in the other thread, I can see why it would be a bad idea.

I just find it surprising that not only did they write up this article about freediving during surface intervals, but the writer did it. Hum .... well maybe. I'll quote it:
" We were aboard a resort dive boat, but weren't on scuba at the time. With the boat anchored over the wall for the surface interval, we took the opportunity to snorkel the shallow reef that beckoned just a few yards away."
At the end of the article.
"The next time your computer says that you have to wait a while before the next dive, seize the moment."

Now maybe I'm not understanding this, because I don't know excatly what a surface interval is.....

Probably speaking of simply cruising the top, as snorkling generally implies... No harm in that, just not submerging...

Christof

Hi all,
spearboard.com is just full of avid freedivers and tons of threads discussing the perils of shallow water blackout, and incidents involving free diving during your surface interval to depths as shallow as 10 feet.
My advice is to either free dive or do your interval, never both.

A friend of mine was on a charter in Hatteras last year with a boat full of world class free divers, when one of them went out from shallow water blackout, he began in water rescue and the guy came to in about a minute, but was oblivious to the whole event.

Eric

I guess we'll need to watch the July or August letters column. I agree that the article went against my learnings.

Pete

I read that article in Dive Training and I was outraged at the inaccurate information given - What the $%#!

As someone who believes strongly in safety first - and who has his SDI Divemaster and currently doing PADI's DM program along with trained with several well known freedive trainers and as a freedive instructor I say don't freedive if you are tank diving. Either freedive only or tank dive. It's the same as drinking and driving - they don't mix.

In addition, I have sent an email off to the Senior Editor and Assn't Publisher, stating my concerns regarding the inaccurate information given in this article.

I just received this email from Dive Training Magazine regarding the Article in question:

Thank you for your input. A production error forced the article to appear in the June issue rather than the July issue, in which Senior Editor Alex Brylske's complete feature on freediving appears. The Skills column wasn't intended as a stand-alone piece. We regret the error. It has been corrected in the July issue, which hits newstands mid-June.
The Editors
Dive Training

That is one major oops as far as I'm concerned... :shakehead

Yeah. I'm just a little concerned too. I just am getting into scuba, and had ordered my subscription to Dive Training, when I thought I would question the accuracy of this article. I hope they don't normally have this type of misinformation. The cover itself gives the headline of "getting wet during surface intervals. Snorkeling and freediving techniques made easy." Even if you didn't read the article you could walk away with the wrong idea.

I just need to make sure I'm getting the right info to stay alive! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom