Kids and snorkeling questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
Ok... a little background first: My husband and I just introduced the kids to snorkeling while on vacation in FL. We took them to Shell Key, off the coast of St. Pete Beach. My son (8 years old) took right to snorkeling. My daughter (6 years old) had some trouble with the mask and ditched it after about 1.5-2 hours.

Does anyone know of any good masks to fit a 6 yr old with a very thin face? She just couldn't keep a seal, and kept flooding the mask, and became uncomfortable. I think she would be just fine, if she didn't have mask issues. She says she liked snorkeling when water wasn't in her eyes.

Also... we live in Indiana and my son is dying to snorkel again. He just asked me if we can go snorkeling this weekend?!?! I know of several quarries that my hubby and I could dive in, but don't know of any place that is good for snorkeling. I would love to take him, but don't know of a good place around here... and can't afford another vacation right now. Anyone have any ideas?

Check out "Kids Stuff" at Scubatoys.com. Fifth item down:

Tilos Maximum Kids Snorkeling Kit

This is the same high quality mask as the Tilos Panoramic mask.. except no purge, and for smaller faces. Combine this with a totaly dry snorkel that has a small mouthpiece for the kids - and you have a great quality kit and a great price!

Price: $39.95

Sorry, don't know much about snorkling in Indiana.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Cool!! Will definitely check it out!! My son made me laugh again after my original post.... he is not a stong swimmer yet (but we are working on it). He does fine in the salt water... no prob at all. In a pool, he can swim a decent distance under water... but after about 15 seconds, there becomes a slight necessity to take breath... and he can't stay on top of the water for anything! (I am always by his side, so no danger to him). He politely asked me if Indiana has any salt water to snorkel in... and I replied "no, honey, it's all murky, brown, fresh water (if you can *really* call it fresh! LOL). He looks to me and says, "Can we add some salt to it? Then I can swim better!" I just had to giggle!

erparamedic:
Cool!! Will definitely check it out!! My son made me laugh again after my original post.... he is not a stong swimmer yet (but we are working on it). He does fine in the salt water... no prob at all. In a pool, he can swim a decent distance under water... but after about 15 seconds, there becomes a slight necessity to take breath... and he can't stay on top of the water for anything! (I am always by his side, so no danger to him). He politely asked me if Indiana has any salt water to snorkel in... and I replied "no, honey, it's all murky, brown, fresh water (if you can *really* call it fresh! LOL). He looks to me and says, "Can we add some salt to it? Then I can swim better!" I just had to giggle!
hmmmm, I'm not sure when the Hammerheads are cruising through Indianapolis. I'll check on that for you. In the meantime, stock up on Morton salt and keep the boy happy! I have a six year old girl and a nine year old boy and they are avid water freaks (can I call my children that?) also. Stay in touch.

freediver:
hmmmm, I'm not sure when the Hammerheads are cruising through Indianapolis. I'll check on that for you. In the meantime, stock up on Morton salt and keep the boy happy! I have a six year old girl and a nine year old boy and they are avid water freaks (can I call my children that?) also. Stay in touch.

LOL! Hmmm... I wonder if Morton Salt can just move a refinery quarry-side in Indiana? My kids (6 and 8) love the water, but even after many, many lessons, they tend to sink like a lead weight! I'm guessing they take after their dad... since he can WALK from the shallow end of the pool to the 12 foot end! We will continue to work on the swimming thing, and in the meantime, we'll find a place to refine snorkeling skills for them... as we are very proud of our "Grow your own dive buddy" program! LOL

We are in Indiana too, with two kids very close in age to yours. Boy loves snorkeling, girl more apprehensive.

We went to Midwest Scuba (nw Indy) and they were very helpful, fitting masks to our kids faces.

Good luck!

erparamedic:
... and he can't stay on top of the water for anything!

You can teach him to float.

It is the same is when you are diving breath control is everything but the technique is very different. If the lungs are full he will float. You need to teach him to keep is lungs blown up full of air and blow the air out just before rotating up to breath. Even people who really do sink (adult or older teen males in very good physical condition) they are only very slightly negative. But most people who think they sink do in fact float and if they were to stay motionless in the deep end will have a small patch of skin showing someplace at the surface. No one floats with head and shoulders above the water.

Here is how to teach it. Have him take a big breath then lay face down in the water hands above head and thumbs locked together If his feet are sinking tell him to press his head down farther underwater and arms totaly underwater too. Most people will float horizontal ifthey keep 99% of their head under. Lift the head and most everyone will "sink". The basic rule is that if the lungs are full and you try and keep all of the body from the waist up submerged you can't help but float. People "sink" because try to do the impossable": keep the heavyest part of the body (the head) out of the water.

Yes, the Mini Oceanview mask would work great for your daughter, which you can see by the pictures of my daughter on our website...young and skinny!

http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_oceanways_mini.cfm

For your son, you could put him in a shorty wetsuit or a snorkeling vest for buoyancy. A wetsuit will help him stay afloat and still allow him to dive under, while a snorkeling vest will keep him more afloat, depending upon how much air you have in it. I raised my kids in the water, let me know if you have anymore questions, I'll be glad to help!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom