Isla Mujeres/Cancun Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ashbroom

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,

Obviously, I'm new here. My Wife and I are looking into a trip to Isla Mujeres/Cancun. We found a REALLY nice hotel that we would REALLY like to stay at, but we would also like to go snorkeling on our own for a few hours each day. We are really new to the sport, we have only been on one excursion in Aruba, but we're hooked... (no pun intended, sorry) We are going to get our own gear, so that won't be an issue. We would just really like to do our own thing. When we went with the group in Aruba, it seemed rushed...

All that being said, we would like to walk into the water, near our hotel, which is on the north end of the island, and go snorkeling. It seems that this isn't the most ideal location for snorkeling, but if there is something to see, that will work. Should we find a different hotel? Should we stay on the hotel zone? Are we going to have to suck it up and pay a guide?

Any and all help with be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

There are a few fair (not great, but fair) snorkeling sites around Isla Mujeres. Problem is, they all have enough current that you're in for a long walk home. Or an even longer swim....

Cancun has some amazing dive sites. But the reef starts about a mile off shore. Not really suitable for shore diving or snorkeling.

Personally, I'd say that you ought to consider leaning to dive. Snorkeling is cool. But SCUBA lets you get right down into the action, instead of just watching it from afar.

Most dive shops have cheap (or free) Discover Scuba sessions, that basically let you try being on SCUBA in a pool. Check into it...

Most resorts in the Carribean also offer what is called a "Resort Course". My wife and I did this before we got certified. You basically spend a morning with an instructor in a pool learning some very basic skills. After this, you are able to go on shallow (less than 40 feet) dives, under the supervision of a qualified instructor. It's a good stepping stone into diving.

You can also choose to go straight into a certification course. The route my wife and I chose (and we're very happy with our choice) was to do the PADI online courses to complete the classwork at home, rather than waste any of our vacation time. Once completed, we printed out our test results and took them with us to Cancun. We had done the resort course the year before with Alvaro from AlwaysDiving.com, and loved him, so we contacted him again. He did a quick review of the coursework with us, then spent a morning in the pool doing the confined water skills. After that, we just went diving. Sure, during the dives we'd take time at random intervals to perform open water skills, but we were on the reef, enjoying the sea life.

SCUBA or snorkel, you're going to have a blast. But you would, I think, be best served by going with a guide.

Dog, thanks for the responce! We aren't looking to certified at the moment, we just want to do it to see how we like it, and to do something on the vacation. If there is no place to do it, we will just go swimmin in the surf (hopefully there isnt much of one). There is that park on the island there but if we dont have to pay the fee to get in to see some fish, I would rather not.

I know this isn't the most ideal place to go to snorkel, just hoping someone found something special when they went.

Thanks.

I just got back from a trip to Cancun & Isla Mujeres on Jan 8, 2011... My husband & I love Isla Mujeres, and took three trips there in 2010!

On the south end of the island, there is Garrafon park that charges about $55/pp for the day. That fee includes your park entrance, all meals & drinks, snorkling, ziplining, hammocks, kayaking, lockers, towels, etc. for the entire day. It is a beautiful spot, well kept & maintained, but a bit pricey, considering that the reef is dead has a buoy line to keep you about 15 feet away from the fish. I did take my 8-year-old there for the day, we saw lots of fish, and it's a really nice place if you don't mind spending that much money.

My favorite place to snorkel on Isla Mujeres is a little beach club next door to Garrafon park. It is called Garrafon de Castilla, and the admission is about $50 MX (about $4 USD.) It's small, charming, and you will see lots of fish there!!! They rent lockers, towels and snorkeling equipment, and the food is not bad, either.

Definitely give them a try, you will not be disappointed with the snorkeling at Garrafon de Castilla!!!

Have a great vacation,

Lisse :)

I second the idea of going to Garrafon de Castilla, it's cheap and the people there are very accommodating. I snorkeled to much that day and made myself seasick, so the bartender made a special drink that really worked (and there was no alcohol involved).

Also try the the enclosed bay by the Avalon Resort at the south end of Isla. I'm not sure where the public entrance is but there is a smaller hotel at the north end of the bridge. There is a little bit of a current even though there are breakers but we found plenty of fish and coral here.

Rent a golf cart for at least 24 hours and tour the island. We found great little places to pull off the road and walk down to the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom