How to achieve neutral buoyancy to take pics snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kfreckles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I really want to improve my photographic skills when snorkeling by getting under the subject or approaching the subject slowly so it doesn't swim off.

However if the reef is 2m below, you have to dive down at speed to get a pic, which causes the fish to dart away. Then I immediately start floating back to the surface before I've even finished pressing the shutter button. Therefore I assume I would need to be neutrally buoyant at 1m (ish). How can I achieve this in a warm sea (i.e. Maldives etc). Do I buy a weights belt? Or is it impossible to do what I want?

Many thanks

Hi I really want to improve my photographic skills when snorkeling by getting under the subject or approaching the subject slowly so it doesn't swim off.

However if the reef is 2m below, you have to dive down at speed to get a pic, which causes the fish to dart away. Then I immediately start floating back to the surface before I've even finished pressing the shutter button. Therefore I assume I would need to be neutrally buoyant at 1m (ish). How can I achieve this in a warm sea (i.e. Maldives etc). Do I buy a weights belt? Or is it impossible to do what I want?

Many thanks

You need one of these...Austin's Diving Center: Rob Allen Marseillese Weight Belt, Weight Belts
A rubber weightbelt allows you to breathe much better than the poorly thought out welghtbelts used by most scuba divers. You will need to try several different amounts of weight, until you find the exact weight you need to be neutral.
Freedivers all use weightbelts..there is really no other way to get what you want. Another plus with this belt is that it is made for an instant quick release, in an emergency.
Even though you are in shallow warm water, you may find that the exposure protection of a thin wetsuit is desirable....2 or 3 mm wet suit shorty would be the choice of many..this will limit where you can be sun burned, and where the suit is, you won't get stung.

Many thanks for your quick response.

I assume I would need to attach some sort of weights to that belt? Is that correct?

Many thanks :)

Many thanks for your quick response.

I assume I would need to attach some sort of weights to that belt? Is that correct?

Many thanks :)

lead weights go on the belt...You would need some idea of how positive your bouyancy is...do you need 5 pounds to sink, 10 pounds, etc. You can get lead weights in 2 lb, 4 lb, 5 lb sizes, and you mix and match till you have neutral.....

If it's only 2m below water level you could just exhale... I think....

If you are trying to shoot pictures, you need as much time as posible to compose the shot....a very deep breath could last you a minute or more...most of us do not do well staying down a long time afger we exhale.....although there are some goofy apnea types that actually have a wierd technique of going down after a complete exhale!!!!

If it's only 2m below water level you could just exhale... I think....

That may depend on how buoyant one is. I'm not able to just sink and exhale when snorkeling, and with a wetsuit it would be even more impossible. So it all depends.

OP: They also make 1 pound weights if you are trying to fine-tune (and a wetsuit is buoyant so if you sometimes wear one and sometimes not, you will need to vary the amount of lead you wear).

Blue Sparkle

Like they said, a weight belt. Set yourself up so you can dial in what you wear for weights. Your gear and depth du jour will enter into what the best choice is.

Pete

I consider a weight belt essential if you are seriously interested in getting good photos while snorkeling. However, I have found it difficult if not impossible to achieve true neutral buoyancy (like a scuba diver can) when I am snorkeling. Buoyancy changes greatly in the top 15 feet, and when you are snorkeling you usually also have to contend with wave action or surge in shallow water. This makes taking photos while snorkeling a challenge. I often try to hold on to a rock (not coral!) when I am taking a picture to steady myself as much as possible. The steadier you are in the water, the better the photo will turn out in terms of focus. However at certain marine preserves or on snorkel tours, you may be discouraged from touching anything.

With a shorty wetsuit, I previously used 8 lb of weight for snorkeling, and as I have gotten older and flabbier, I now use 10 lb. With this much weight, I am still quite bouyant in the top 8 ft or so of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom