Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SinkFloridaSink
  • 1 Post By Dr Dog

Thread: Static Breath Hold?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Static Breath Hold?

Hello,

I was wondering, what is your max static breath hold?

I'm currently at 3 minutes and would love to be at 5 minutes. Other than practice, any tips to lengthen my time?

Registered

BC Mountain Diver

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    I started at 45 seconds and am now just passing 2:30. Obviously you are ahead of me, so whatever you are doing is working

But I do use a couple training videos that can be found on youtube

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dog View Post
    I started at 45 seconds and am now just passing 2:30. Obviously you are ahead of me, so whatever you are doing is working

But I do use a couple training videos that can be found on youtube
    When you have a moment, can you prove the video links? I've searched for "free diving" "freediving" videos, but didnt find anything too helpful. tonight I'm going to search for "apnea."

With me, prior to the dive I take 3-5 huge breaths (in and out), then go.

Thank you again.

Registered

BC Mountain Diver

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Hey Digi Greg

I like your blog too, keep it updated!!

When I discovered SCUBA, I started looking into all shapes of diving and quickly found out about freediving also. I became obsessed with diving in all forms and spent copious amounts of time researching. I decided I wanted to start trying my hand at CNF Apnea. Which would be Constant Weight No Fins. The current record is set at 115 M and is held by Wlliam Trubridge. Of course I am nowhere close to that, nor will ever be, but I thought it was the most pure form of diving, with only you in the water, so I started looking into breath hold techniques.

I smoked for 26 years, so obviously my cardio really sucked at the beginning, with me laying on my bed for 45 ish seconds in near terror trying to hold my breath. The last time I worked on my breath hold (last week) I went just past 2 mins 30 secs. I am delighted with that, and cannot wait to get myself to 4 mins.

But I use these resources

Apnea mania

Apnea Trainer iPhone App | Facebook

~ breath holding while exercising with swim mask on - YouTube I know you will laugh at this one, but I find if I am very relaxed, I can hold with no issues
    Albreezy0412 likes this.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Hey Digi Greg

When I discovered SCUBA, I started looking into all shapes of diving and quickly found out about freediving also. I became obsessed with diving in all forms and spent copious amounts of time researching. I decided I wanted to start trying my hand at CNF Apnea. Which would be Constant Weight No Fins. The current record is set at 115 M and is held by Wlliam Trubridge. Of course I am nowhere close to that, nor will ever be, but I thought it was the most pure form of diving, with only you in the water, so I started looking into breath hold techniques.

I smoked for 26 years, so obviously my cardio really sucked at the beginning, with me laying on my bed for 45 ish seconds in near terror trying to hold my breath. The last time I worked on my breath hold (last week) I went just past 2 mins 30 secs. I am delighted with that, and cannot wait to get myself to 4 mins.

Glad you like our site! My girlfriend and I were planning on launching the site next month, but when we saved a sea turtle last week and we felt it was newsworthy for a soft launch. We want it to becoming a central hub for South Florida divers with as much QUALITY information we can provide.

If you're ever in South Florida, drop us a line!

After reading more about CNF Apnea, that does sound more challenging. I scuba and snorkel. When snorkeling, If I see a ledge or something rad, I want to get closer. I don't use weights, but I do wear my split fins. If my dive shop rents free diving fins, I want to try them out with snorkeling.

From reading your post, I'm assuming you no longer smoke? If that's the case, CONGRATS! If not, watch this video… Anti Smoking Wake Up Call (Anstoß für Rauchentwöhnung) - YouTube

After watching the "training routine" video, I downloaded Static Apnea on my Android phone to help me.

Thank you for providing the links.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Hey Digi Greg

But I use these resources

Apnea mania

Apnea Trainer iPhone App | Facebook

~ breath holding while exercising with swim mask on - YouTube I know you will laugh at this one, but I find if I am very relaxed, I can hold with no issues

Fun fact: smoking actually superficially increases your breath hold because chronic smoking kills CO2 receptors in your lungs. Also please take note that dry statics are much different from wet statics. Psychologically, dry statics are much easier because once you're out of breath, inhaling right away is not a problem, on the other hand, when you're doing wet statics, you know you can't just inhale unless you want a lung full of water.

anyway, be sure to have a partner looking out for you whenever you do any sort of wet exercises such as statics and dynamics. Dive safe!

Solo Diver

Serenity now ...

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkatorium View Post
    Fun fact: smoking actually superficially increases your breath hold because chronic smoking kills CO2 receptors in your lungs. Also please take note that dry statics are much different from wet statics. Psychologically, dry statics are much easier because once you're out of breath, inhaling right away is not a problem, on the other hand, when you're doing wet statics, you know you can't just inhale unless you want a lung full of water.

anyway, be sure to have a partner looking out for you whenever you do any sort of wet exercises such as statics and dynamics. Dive safe!
    Case and point: Pack 'n a half a day, 4 1/2 min... and one day, I'll hopefully find out, what times I can get without smoking ...