What are the best and most unique snorkeling locations in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamjthompson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I know that nearly without exception, popular carribean destinations offer good snorkeling with clear water, reefs, marine life, etc. What are some caribbean destinations that stand out?

Examples:

• Off Yucatan Penninsula, you can snorkel with whale sharks
  • Dominican Republic, you can snorkel with humpback whales
  • At Stingray City, you can snorkel with, yes, stingrays!
  • Some places are good for snorkeling with turtles
  • Some places have shallow wrecks you can snorkel
  • Some places you can snorkel great reefs right from the beach

I have done a lot of snorkeling, but am a diver now. Only ever been to the Caribbean. It is funny how that changes your perspective, but...

Best Turtle Snorkeling, For snorkeling all day long with huge turtles, Akumal, Mexico - the reef is not in good shape but the turtles are always there, as well as tons of rays, barracuda, fish balls and other fish species. This is all to be had right off of a sandy beach. What a great place.

Best Shore Snorkeling, St. John is also a really good snorkeling destination. Especially if you are there for a week and have a jeep, there are many bays and hikes to beaches with just amazing snorkeling, this is from just last year that I visited. I saw fish and species there that I had only seen diving before. If I could not dive anymore that is where I would vaca in the Caribbean. It is really nice to be on your own schedule and just drive/hike to good spots. I was only there a week and found 3 or 4 incredibly good snorkeling spots. Once again the reef is not in the best shape, but better than some places in the Caribbean. Topside not nearly as awesome as Mexico. I would put Roatan as second in this category, as there are several really good shore snorkels there, in fact I have never been snorkeling on a boat there and was content.

Best Boat Snorkeling - Caye Caulker, Belize - the healthiest coral I have ever seen snorkeling and better than on some of the dives I have seen. Vibrant colors and variety. Really beautiful. Have to take a boat every time, though. I would also throw Klein Bonaire in to this category as a close second.

Here is where I have been diving/snorkeling, for context:
Grand Cayman once, Roatan twice, Antigua once, Cozumel three times, Akumal once, Belize once, Bonaire once (diving only but paid attn to snorkeling), St. John once (diving and snorkeling)

I know this is a Caribbean list, but I hear French Polynesia is incredible snorkeling and if I hadn't gotten dive certified I'd be headed there next.

Last edited:
When on a diving trip I often spend "surface intervals" snorkeling. I started snorkeling about 60 years ago and it is my first love. Diving is wonderful but requires a lot of equipment &#8801; weight. I've recently been trading bottom time for weight reduction. I got a Blue Steel 27 cf and 50 Cf - 12# and 19# respectively. On shallow dives (<60') I don't experience much loss of bottom time due to the decreased weight and stress.

Akumal Mexico, best for snorkeling with turtles by far, though no close in reefs as such

Bonaire, wonderful snorkeling almost anywhere with easy beach access.

Grand Cayman if you are on cruise. Eden Rock is close by, offers quality snorkeling.

DivemasterDennis

There a lots of nice places to snorkel in the Exuma keys. Buck Island in St. Croix was very beautiful as well.

May favorites so far have been:

Roatan: Easy to reach barrier reef, healthy and diverse corals, good fish counts.
Roatan Snorkeling Highlights Slideshow by testudo92 | Photobucket

Little Cayman: Would be #1 if there were a bit larger snorkeling areas and Bloody Bay was a bit more shallow. Otherwise, if you can free dive a bit, it is simply amazing. Massive, stunning corals, extremely high fish counts.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106316...anSeptemebr2012#slideshow/5790267852996309058

Grand Cayman: Great from shore snorkeling on the North Shore (Rum Point to East End). Plenty of diverse marine life (many of the largest specimens I have seen), great fish counts, good coral health. Plenty of shallow wrecks: The Cali, Kittiwake (a bit deep), The Pallas and the Geneva Kathleen are the more popular.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106316567444988884520

St. John: Some of the easiest from shore snorkeling. Each site is is like its own micro-environment, so lots to see across the island. Most sites are off a stunning beach, so it wins for topside enjoyment. Plenty of friendly turtles, especially Leinster Bay, Maho and Francis Bay. Only negative is the relative lack of larger coral.

Tobago Cays: Included this boat trip since it really a great snorkel ground. Again, a great place to commune with turtles.

Cozumel: Included due to the unique drift snorkel opportunity. Large coral structures you get to "fly" over.

Last edited:
Baby Beach Aruba

Dennis, Akumal has tonnes of close in reefs. Just need to go a little south of where the turtles are. We visited there 5 times over 5yrs and the last 2 years the fish weren't there. In Turks and Caicos there is a famous reef that is now fenced off right on Grace Bay (not in great shape). First snorkeling ever and we saw mantas! Never seen any since snorkeling or diving over 7yrs....

snorkeling......

Bonaire... any reef on island, walk into water and go. We had turtles and squid all the way up to shore, and we were scuba diving. Got out of water and they had followed us.

Roatan, CocoView Resort.... their front yard is about the best it gets for a resort. Walk right out from your room and water from 5' deep to 100' deep wall.
Roatan Resort & Diving | CoCo View Resort Check out their website, they have photos and videos.

those are the 2 places that I would return to again and again as a snorkeler, when I get done as a diver.

robin

I have been to Mexico and that side of the Caribbean and to the Northern Islands including the USVI's and the BVI's and I landed in St.Vincent. No one knows about St.Vincent so it doesn't see the traffic. It's in the middle of the archipelago and below the hurricane belt in the windwards. There are only 100,000 people that live on the island so the overall impact is again a lot less. Reefs here are thriving. The seas are notoriously clear some days over 150 feet. During the hurricane season the storms steer around St.Vincent and pull all the energy away leaving us with seas of glass and visibility that is UN-matched. There are fringing reefs all around the leeward side of the island and I know of at least 20 different amazing spots that are right off shore, no boat ride needed. There are also UN-inhabited islands around that you can reach by boat where things are as they used to be in the Caribbean. Fishing around St.Vincent is old school and the seas haven't been over-fished. There are no tourist trap guide groups feeding fish or trying to sell you cheap t-shirts. The Grenadines have been a stash for the rich and famous for a long time. Like St.Bart's they made it super expensive in order to keep it for themselves. We found the locals side and then introduced comfortable luxury and service at rates that most people can actually afford. St.Vincent hasn't been exposed yet and we've been told by many who have been all over the world that this is still some of the healthiest reefs and seas that they've seen anywhere. The bays here are shallow and easy. I've seen everything here from turtles to sharks to shrimp and lobster to octopus and cuddle-fish. Sea horses in 3' of water and eels of 6 different species. Bottom line is if you want to see stellar amazing reefs in the world you need to get off the beaten path and away from where the big resorts and mass crowds are. If you're on the great barrier reef the farther you go out the better it gets. Same in Belize or Mexico. Same in St.John. Trunk bay sees the most traffic and those who don't know the difference they think it's great. It's actually the worst snorkeling and diving around St.John. Get out by Water-lemon key and you'll see. St.Vincent hasn't been exposed so the cruise ships don't stop here like they do in the better known spots as well. Again sending hoards of UN-educated people out to go torment and destroy the reefs. Many places have become marine sanctuaries around but I still don't see the positives to that if people aren't educated. I've seen people out feeding fish and chasing turtles to try and pet them in marine sanctuaries before. Florida is now starting to impose harsh penalties on the idiots that are always trying to ride the manatees there. Again humans have done and continue to due more damage to the oceans than any other species, get away from humans and you'll find healthy seas. That stands true for every ocean. If you want amazing reefs from shore find the islands no-one talks about or places that seem a little more remote.

Back
Top Bottom