close encounter of the odd kind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All :)

I'm probably not the first person this has happened to but I thought I'd post it as an unusual hazard.

I was snorkeling just a few feet off the beach yesterday just messing around and getting my mask and snorkel adjusted comfortably when suddenly something ripped my snorkel and mask right off my head, of course given a 50/50 chance of inhaling or exhaling at the moment I was inhaling, and between the lung full of salt water and the face full of the same I was pretty steamed when I popped my head out of the water, to confront an elderly and very surprised looking black lab retriever who had mistaken my snorkel for a stick and was quite obviously wondering why it had a human on the other end, best chuckle I've had in weeks, and a needed heads up to stay aware, even in 4 feet of water.

Stay Safe

minno

Absolutely a new one to me. I have never heard of such a thing happening. Did he take your "stick" back to shore or give it back? Lol

Lucky the stick the dog's owner threw didn't hit you too.

She dropped it when I popped out of the water, think I startled her just about as much as she startled me, poor old dog :)

thing that bothers me is that I let a 50 pound dog sneak up and blind side me in the water, had absolutely no clue she was there, maybe it's just because I'm new to swimming, but once I stick my face in the water I'm oblivious to time and what's around me, I'm thinking of getting a waterproof watch with a countdown timer and setting it to beep every minute to remind me to look around, that can't be a bad habit to get into.

Stay Safe

minno

She dropped it when I popped out of the water, think I startled her just about as much as she startled me, poor old dog :)

thing that bothers me is that I let a 50 pound dog sneak up and blind side me in the water, had absolutely no clue she was there, maybe it's just because I'm new to swimming, but once I stick my face in the water I'm oblivious to time and what's around me, I'm thinking of getting a waterproof watch with a countdown timer and setting it to beep every minute to remind me to look around, that can't be a bad habit to get into.

Stay Safe

minno

That's funny! Just imagine how easy it is for a shark to do the same thing. They sneak up on things for a living. :)

BAHAHAHAHA! LOL That's the first time I've ever heard of that. We don't see much pet traffic on our beaches. Matter of fact we don't see much traffic at all on our beaches. Thanks for the laugh. To return the favor I invite you to check out this ebook. LOL and proceeds go to help kids in the Caribbean.Amazon.com: a fly on the wall,a bartender's perspective: Books when you're ready to come find the hidden gem of the Caribbean look us up and we'll roll out the red carpet for you. Stay safe and watch out for the wildlife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom