Mares Volo Race fins...opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevenP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Howdy, I'm sure you're awfuly tired of new (VERY) folks asking for opinions about gear....but, I've been running myself ragged searching reviews of snorkeling fins. I'm really new but want to buy a good pair of fins that don't need to be replaced anytime soon. There aren't many dive shops around the area, and after seeing what they have to offer in-store...I'm buing on-line!

I went back and forth between getting split fins (Atomic) and a paddle fin...but, since my technique is lame I figured a paddle fin might suit me better. I did purchase a pair of full foot Mares Volo Race fins...after a suggestion from a friend and some fairly good reviews. No, I hadn't tried them on, but the price was really too good to pass up. So, I got them. But, I wouldn't mind having a second pair if you all really think I made a mistake. Mind you, I'll be snorkeling only a few times a year and in warm water. Any ideas? Thanks a ton!

i just use mares quattros and super channels full foot type as im diving all day every day and i love them !!
simple no moving parts and no gimmicks!!!

For me there is a definite difference between fins used for diving vs fins used for snorkeling. Unless you're free diving too, many scuba diving fins are usually just too bulky and too stiff to be comfortable and/or optimized for swimming face down on the surface. Personally, if I were going to select dedicated snorkeling-only fins, I would try to pick from designs that are compact, soft, and maneuverable, with a premium on fit and comfort. My personal preference would probably always be for a full-foot model, unless you have need of walk-in exposure protection. Mares are well known for their excellent fin products, but the Velo Race may be too much fin for regular everyday snorkeling. Perhaps one of the other models would be better suited?

A friend of mine swears by the Scubpro full-foot Twin Jet Fin (see link below), but ultimately this is all somewhat subjective and down to personal taste. I might suggest researching a shortlist of brands/models to test out at the pool.

SCUBAPRO - JET FIN FULL FOOT

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks folks! I went out today to try a pair of US Divers Hingeflex II fins...I got them because I kind of liked the idea of the 'pivot' and because they're small enough to put in a tote bag for my walk out to the beach. I really didn't like the fins...they were okay for moving around the surface, but anytime I tried to dive more than a few feet I would pop right back up! I'm a big boy and apparently quite bouyant!

I have an idea that the Volo Race might still be okay...but, I'm apparently already addicted to this and don't have a problem getting a number of different fin styles over time. Right now the Jet Fin is a bit pricey. I saw a pair of Tusa Xpert Zoom fins that looked like fun. Thanks again for your help!

I'm not much of a snorkeler but have been known to snorkel when not diving. My old dive fins were Volos, though not Racers and not full foot. I really liked those fins for a long time and traveled everywhere with them.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

Are they new fins or did the previous owner use them for awhile?

Awesome fins, been using them for years for scuba, snorkel and freediving, don't think you need a second pair.

The Volo Race fins I got were new...I was snooping around Amazon.com and somebody had them in my size for a steal. They might be a bit much (from what folks are saying) but, I tell you...I opened that box and fell in love. I want to use them for the occasional snorkeling trip, but freediving has really caught my attention. I'm hoping to be able to use these fins for both. And, if I find another fin I like...well, fins are't so expensive as a really good pair of shoes. I'll just have a little collection. (grin)

My "quiver" includes a pair of full-foot Volo Race fins. They're very well-made fins and they're great for certain types of snorkeling. They work well for surface swimming in both flat and rough water, unlike many other fins. They're easy kicking and are very easy on the knees.

Their suitability for you depends upon the type of snorkeling and diving you will be doing. They're fine, (excellent actually) for cruising along on the surface and for shallow diving, but they're less than ideal in tight situations such as close maneuvering around coral or in shallow water, as their extra length and their relative "sluggishness" during turns then becomes an issue.

They're fine for shallow freediving, but they aren't powerful enough to get you down deep quickly enough, so I usually don't take them below 40'. They're an interesting fin; they're remarkably efficient and they provide plenty of power up to a certain point, but if you try to push them past that point then they will suddenly announce "that's all we got, boss!" and you will find that whatever extra energy you put into them past that point does not provide any extra benefit.

I actually prefer my Mares Wave fins for all-around rough-water snorkeling and somewhat deeper freediving, as they can produce a lot more power when I need it. I can damn near jump out of the water in my Mares Wave fins (ok, exaggerating a bit), but I can't come anywhere close to that with the Volos. The Waves are also considerably more maneuverable in tight situations. (Of course, keep in mind that I snorkel and dive 5 or 6 days per week, so I have some pretty strong leg muscles.)

I use my Volos on days when I just feel like cruising and taking it easy, and I really enjoy them on those days. They would also be fabulous fins for anyone with knee issues who just wants to cover some ground without working too hard. However, I think they may be a bit of overkill for casual snorkeling, and in fact you might be better off with a shorter fin in many typical snorkeling situations. And for freediving, you'd be better off with a longer (or at least a stiffer) fin and of course the leg muscles to drive it.

Personally, if I were going to select dedicated snorkeling-only fins, I would try to pick from designs that are compact, soft, and maneuverable, with a premium on fit and comfort.
For typical snorkeling scenarios Carlos is absolutely right! However, if you'll be swimming long distances or in open-ocean conditions then you'll be quite happy in the Volos.

Thanks guys. I got a pair of Scubapro Twin Jet fins after reading lots (and lots) of reviews...and the price was beyond fantastic for a new pair. Though, I'm going to pop them right back in their box and send them back after reading what you had to say about the Volo Race fins.

CapnDan, thanks for the laugh as well as the info. "That's all we got, boss" sounds like just about my limit of ability anyway! And since I decided on sending back those Twin Jets I found a pair of Mares Wave fins for $29.00 on Leisure Pro. Looks like I'm building a quiver of my own. Thanks again.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom