In the scheme of freediving, when do monofins come into play?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romad119

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We'll probably be taking some freediving courses next year as we enjoy snorkling, etc. as much as scuba. On any of my searches, I haven't seen information on the pros and cons of monofins, and how they compare to the standard freediving fins. Are they beneficial from a speed, efficiency or distance perspective? A combination of these? What are some reasons for looking into a monofin?

Alan

there is no real advantage or disadvantage to a monofin. It's simply another tool that if used correctly will improve your efficiency in the water. It's again just personal preference. Kind of like skiing vs. snowboarding. Both are fun, both get you down the hill and put a smile on your face. Both require a certain amount of skill and effort. Go with whatever makes you comfortable and puts a smile on your face.

We'll probably be taking some freediving courses next year as we enjoy snorkling, etc. as much as scuba. On any of my searches, I haven't seen information on the pros and cons of monofins, and how they compare to the standard freediving fins. Are they beneficial from a speed, efficiency or distance perspective? A combination of these? What are some reasons for looking into a monofin?

Alan

Alan

There is a huge difference between a monofin and bi-fins.

Monofins are way more efficient to swim with because they spread the workload over a larger muscle group. Hence, all the freediving world records for depth or distance in a pool (in the "fin disciplines") are achieved using monofins these days. It takes much more time to develop a proper and efficient monofin technique vs a bi-fin kick. Despite their fluid-like appearance monofins are much harder to maneuver with under water compared to bi-fins. Still many recreational freedivers (myself included) use them for training and the fun of it.

What the bi-fins lack in efficiency they make up for in agility and ease of use, no comparison. For those reasons you don't see a lot of guys spearfishing using monfins. Bin-fins are also a lot less expensive to purchase. Hence, most people start out with bi-fins while learning proper freediving techniques, developing their breath hold and aquatic comfort level.

At the end of the day it comes down to what kind of diving you plan to do. Unless you are dead set on getting into competitive freediving, I recommend starting out with bi-fins for recreational freediving or spearfishing.

Safe diving/Rik

Back
Top Bottom