Recommendation on snorkel set for non swimmer that gives lots of power ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpmwong

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Not a swimmer will have a life vest and snorkeling in Hawaii (not always calm water)

Snorkel :I thinking about getting the cressi supernova snorkel, any suggestions, want something that waters doesnt go in even with waves :)

Fins: something light and very powerful

Mask: any suggestions, not sure what I am looking for, I know for fit, so might have to find a shop to try on, but any suggestions on which ones to try.

Budget: I was thinking about 100USD, but if it means more power and pretty much leak proof, willing to spend more.

Thanks !

There is no such thing as leakproof...
And this is a "equipmentsolution" to a skillsproblem that I really would reccomend against.

Learn how to swim, or stay away from water is my $0.02

I sometimes have to take weak or non-swimmers snorkeling here in Thailand, especially Chinese and Indian visitors, who rarely know how to swim. They wear a life jacket. What I always do is teach them snorkel technique rather than assuming that the equipment is what is going to make the difference. Even non-swimmers can learn snorkel technique. What I mean to say is that there is no fin made that will help a bicycle kicker move through the water, but just about any fin can be "powerful" if the snorkeler is kicking effectively with a proper flutter kick. As for the floodproof snorkel--this doesn't exist; instead I teach people how to clear the snorkel and how to breathe slowly through a little collected water so that they don't choke in order to get enough air to clear the snorkel with. For the mask, I teach them where to put the strap on their heads, not to overtighten it, to make sure there's no hair or swim cap breaking the seal of the mask skirt--these are the techniques that prevent flooded masks. Even simple and inexpensive equipment ($100 is close to a normal price for the mask alone, without even considering fins and a snorkel, so for a whole set, you are looking at simple and inexpensive) is fine for enjoyable snorkeling if good technique is being used. The other important thing for non- or weak swimmers is not to stray too far from the boat or shore entry spot. They tend to get pretty tired from the stress, and being towed back/towing somebody back isn't much fun for anybody.

Thanks for the replies :) I am actually going for a few swimming lessons prior to going.

Does anyone have any recommendations between the oceanic vortex V12 and the Mares Raptor?

Thanks

The thought of the sound of air escaping from the vest would keep me out of water deeper than my chin...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hi there, I was in your shoes, or fins, just a few weeks ago. I actually found asking what seemed like a simple question (which fins?) really frustrating. Somehow I don't think most people here remember not really knowing what they were doing. I love the really helpful suggestions like: learn to swim. Charming. Really. Of course you're going to learn to swim before jumping into the sea.

As for your question...as a total newbie I purchased a bunch of stuff on-line through Amazon. It was really more affordable than I thought and I really like everything I got.

As for a mask and snorkel...I bought the Promate panoramic purge mask and drytop snorkel set (set 9990) for under $45.00 for both pieces. The mask was really awesome. I've got a wide face and it fit really nicely. The purge valve was nice until I tried to equalize by pinching my nose...a splash of water came up through the purge when I pinched it. So, If you plan on just staying on the surface, this is an awesome mask with great visibility. The Promate dry snorkel was just a wonder! I didn't think it looked like much...a little gray plastic float inside a clear plastic cage. But, I tell you...I would dive down and come right up and breath without having to blow water like a whale. It was amazing...as a new person to snorkeling I have to say I loved that snorkel.

Later, keeping the snorkel (loved it), I bought a Mares i3 liquidskin mask (Sunrise version for my wide face) in all black without the purge. LOVED it. It made the view sort of like looking out through a window. I picked up a couple of these little magnet things called Wide-i (agian Amazon.com) that help keep the mask free of fog. Really worked.

Then, after doing lots of digging around the internet I decided to buy full foot fins including: a pair of Mares Volo Race fins (for around $60.00 on line someplace), a pair of Mares Wave fins (for $30.00 at Liesure Pro) and I got a pair of Scubapro Twin Jet split fins (under $50 again at Leisure Pro). Yes, I bought three sets of fins...the darn things cost less than a cheap pair of shoes, so why not have a small wardrobe?

I've used all three while snorkeling around Cape Cod and found that my favorite fins were a tie with Mares Volo Race and the Wave fins. There really isn't alot to see around where I go snorkeling (just for practice for when I go to warmer waters) and the water moves fast...so I wanted some fins that really allowed me to move quickly and fast; the Mares Wave fins gave me a good push when I needed it and they felt really natural. Mind you, I found myself cramping a little, but not tooo badly. It go easier the longer I swam.

The Scubapro Twin Jet split fins were really really comfortable in the water...little or no strain. Though, I really wished I had a pair of lycra socks...the foot pockets aren't really soft. I just found it a little more difficult, with my lack of technique, to turn and fight the sudden currents around the Cape.

In the end, I'm going to keep the three sets of fins that I bought (was thinking of selling the Volo Race and Scubapro Twin Jets on ebay) because I really see myself wanting different fins for different environments/trips.

Good luck and don't let anyone's snide (trying to be helpful by being snarky?) replies get you down. If you can afford it...buy what feels right. There's always ebay for the things you don't keep!!!

I have the Scubapro Phoenix 2 snorkel. It stops water from going in the wrong end. Not needed in calm waters, but very useful when waters are choppy with waves.

cool, you're going to have so much fun :)

I just recently learned how to swim the hard way and it's not all that bad as long as you keep your wits about you and remain calm, get the backstroke down pat first and any time you get in trouble you can just float on your back till ya get things figured out.

I strongly recommend against purge valves in your mask and snorkel, the cheap ones leak, and the expensive ones get crud in them and leak.

the more complicated the device that keeps water out of your snorkel, the more likely it is to malfunction, simple is definitely better, get a rubber snorkel keeper, the hard plastic snorkel keepers always seem to end up stabbing ya in the ear, if your first clearing attempt doesn't work, spit out your snorkel, lift your head 6 inches, breath, don't struggle to breath through your snorkel.

try the mask on before you buy it, if it doesn't fit your face well it'll either leak or be cinched too tight around your head, and be sure to clean the manufacturing oils off the lenses, white non abrasive toothpaste works well. get some mask defog if you're uncomfortable with using spit, if you wear glasses you might want to look into a mask with prescription lenses, I recommend a black skirt on your mask or you'll spend a lot of time looking through a reflection of your face on the lenses of your mask when it's sunny out.

Have fun :)

Stay safe

minno

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom