Need help picking carbon fins for freediving/spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unclejsband

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking into buying carbon fins and could use some help. I am mostly interested in C4s, but am unsure which model would be best and what thickness (30 or 40). I was reading a few other threads, but many of them were a little out of date regarding the current C4 lineup. I posted some info that seemed to be relevant in other discussions.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor

1. Weight: 260, Height 6' (definitely carrying extra fat, but mostly muscle)
2. Relatively Experienced Spearo?
3. Pretty decent leg strength.
4. Currently using Garra 3000 plastic fins
5. Currently diving around 60-75, would like to get to 100+
6. Mostly dive in So Cal (Malibu/Catalina), but make trips to Mexico/Hawaii.
7. I use a 5mm wetsuit with about 25lbs weight

Have you looked at Mona Waterman fins? I got a chance to hold a pair with the Pathos foot pockets. They were amazingly light and had an incredible snap to the blade. They were much lighter than my Mako Fiberglass fins and had much much better fin snap. You might want to check spearboard.com. I believe a few members have reviewed the fins and have reported extremely positive results.

Moana Waterman | Free Diving Carbon Fins

For sure, my next freediving fins will be Moana Waterman fins. They are expensive but on par with the other carbon fins on the market. That's saying a lot, considering that they are made in the USA.

I am a Fii freediving instructor that currently owns C4 fins at stiffness 40. You body type sounds similar to mine and I wish I would have gone with 30s. If you want to increase your depth you need oxygen efficiency not a stiff blade. I recommend you get the Scorpio Flame fins 30. They are an amazing blade at a great price. Here is a link to learn more about the C4 Scorpio Freedive Fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom