Was I really in danger??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dalstar

New
Reaction score
I was snorkeling just down from Cemetery Beach in Cayman in late July about 50 yards from the beach. Swimming parallel to the beach, I spotted a 5 foot Barracuda headed in my direction in about 20 feet of water. He was near the bottom and slowly passed underneath me and continued on his way without any indication that he noticed me. I turned to watch him swim away and decided to follow him to get a good picture. I was probably 40 feet away from him and started taking pictures (no flash). He came to a dead stop and turned to face my direction. After a couple more pictures, I noticed he had started to slowly swim towards me. I began back paddling away from him and kept checking to see where the Cuda was at. I changed the direction of my "retreat" and noticed he changed with me and was closing. By the time I got to the beach, he had closed to within 6 to 8 feet from me and was close to the surface. I quickly stood up and made my way to the sand. I am not sure where he went after the last time I saw him.

The encounter shook me up for a few minutes. I think I was guilty of getting too close to him (I was probably 20 feet from him while taking the pictures at the closest point). But I wonder if he followed me out of curiosity or out of anger. I have seen many Cudas before but this was the first time one has been interested in me.

Did I do the right thing in retreating or should I had held my ground? Once on an African safari, our guide told us to not run if something approach as the animals associate that with food. What should you do when something like a Cuda shows interest and starts pursuing you? Luckily, I was close enough to the beach. But I wonder what the correct move would be in open water or further out?

I doubt it was stalking you. If you had anything shiny on, you could've caught its attention. From Wikipedia: "They are scavengers, and may mistake snorkellers for large predators, following them in hopes of eating the remains of their prey." Sort of like a remora I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I've never had an issue with Barracudas. More than likely, you were the large overhead object that he wanted to hang out under, as they do under boats and docks.

All the best, James

Ignore it. Next time get closer so you can get better pictures.

I have concluded that the body shape and fin color of a Barracuda makes it appear (to humans) as deadly and dangerous and not to be messed with. They hang motionless and then glide towards you with no visible body movement.

In reality, they are just curious. If you also remain motionless, you can get within a foot or two. But I still find it hard to capture a great photo

Barracuda | www.kengiffen.com

Seems pretty common that barracuda will "hang out" with snorkelers. I always have one around snorkeling in the FL Keys. It's just what they do. It's also possible (but a total guess) that perhaps snorkelers / swimmers feed the fish in that area, which could lead to more "agressive" appearing behavior.

You were probably no danger at all. Barracuda tend to very curious, checking shiny objects and about anything else that strikes their fancy. As some of the other posters have said they will hang out in the shadow of boats and other objects floating on the surface. Barracuda tend to be rushing or sprinting type of predator. They will put on a burst of speed and catch their prey unaware. If he’d been attacking you, you’d been blindsided and bit before you ever saw him.
Once while diving in the Flower Gardens we had a barracuda that loved to check out every diver as we did our safety stops. He’d hang out in the shadow of the MV and then glide over to you. He’d get really close sometimes. He came up behind my wife once, and he must have gotten within 18” or so.
Next time get a better picture.

A couple of years ago in NC one was hanging with me on the SS. It was within touching distance. It was attracted to my watch crystal flashing every time I checked my PDC on the same wrist. Once I realized why he kept getting closer with every check I started covering the watch.
SS over up I went no problems. I very much doubt you were in any danger at all.

Like was said above, they're super curious. Theyre always hangin around above the wrecks and near the hang line here in NC. Only time you need to be cautious is when you have fish hanging from a stringer. They get REALLY curious then.

Think about it - with fins on you are as long or longer and way, way thicker. Would you be inclined to run up to a huge elk and take a bite or would you be more apt to be looking for some bite-sized chicken nuggets? LOL It wouldn't worry me. I'd look on it as an opportunity to be close to a really cool creature.

Back
Top Bottom