Where to store important items while snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arianna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Good evening!

My family and I will be traveling to St. John, USVI, this spring. We are fairly low maintenance people and don't plan to bring loads of valuables, but we will have our driver's licenses and rental car's keys. I understand that it's highly advisable not to leave anything in the rental vehicle (and, in fact, to leave it unlocked). It seems only prudent not to leave our things on the beach, but what is the best way to secure (and to keep the keys dry) while we are snorkeling? I am most concerned about the car keys, as many now have computer chips imbedded in them.

Any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks!!

Good evening!

My family and I will be traveling to St. John, USVI, this spring. We are fairly low maintenance people and don't plan to bring loads of valuables, but we will have our driver's licenses and rental car's keys. I understand that it's highly advisable not to leave anything in the rental vehicle (and, in fact, to leave it unlocked). It seems only prudent not to leave our things on the beach, but what is the best way to secure (and to keep the keys dry) while we are snorkeling? I am most concerned about the car keys, as many now have computer chips imbedded in them.

Any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks!!

I used a waterproof bag to carry my i.d., some cash, car keys, etc... on 25+ dives in Bonaire and it never leaked once. I wouldn't risk my cell phone, but this was a great purchase for keeping a few things dry and secure!

Loksak TERN Splashsak 9"x 6" (22.9 x 15.2 cm) Waist Bag | SunnySports

I take one of these to 100' or so about 20x a year. Same one for the past 9 years. No leaks ever. It also has a lanyard so you can cinch it around your neck.

WTZKISBK.jpg

Mine is probably the previous version of this one this one: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-wtzkis/witz-keep-it-safe-dry-case-medium but LeisurePro also sells others: Witz from LeisurePro

Mfr's website: http://www.witzsportcases.com/

Your dive shop may sell them or Otterboxes. I find Otterboxes harder to carry conveniently.

Waterproff carriers are a good idea. Having a "shore guy" is even better, but not always possible. Debbie and I have buried things in a plastic bag (not recommended) and have used a magnetic holding box placed in a strategic place inside the wheel well or elsewhere on the rental car.

Only essentials(in our case, Drivers Licence, and a couple of $$). Re car keys, a lot of rentals now come with a RC(car alarm, locking, etc.), that won't fit into a small waterproof container. I actually leave the RC inside the car, lock it manually, and take the key with me on a lanyard, or if it's skinny enough, in the box we use for the money and DL. Usually, my wife ends up carrying our stuff, ... told me some time ago "Hey, just in case you finally succeed in drowning yourself, at least I'll be able to get home ..."

When I was about to leave Kuantan, Malaysia to move back to the Philippines I had just withdrawn my last money from a local bank there. It was about $4,500 US. As I was passing by the big Hotel there, I saw the best waves I'd ever seen there. Grinding barrels. My son, 11 at the time was with me so we grabbed our fins and the bag of money.....and ran hooting and hollering down to the beach. I buried the sack of money under the sand and made a little guide of sticks so I could find it again.

Unreal body surfing that day too.

No offense intended, but I haven't found the above mentioned boxes to be adequate, dry enough, nor sturdy. This is what I use (OtterBox 1000 Waterproof iPod Cases | OtterBox.com ). It's small and rugged as hell and dry to way beyond recreational depths. Room for my keys, cert cards, credit card, drivers license and a wad of bills & change with room to spare. It's only a couple bucks more and essentially the same size.

I was looking at Otterbox, but I'd read that a number of people had had problems with the clasps breaking. Obviously you haven't had that issue, though. So many suggestions - thank you, everyone!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom