where's best to snorkel in July or August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divejoy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi, this looks like a fantastic place to ask my burning question, so thanks in advance for any replies! :blinking:

Where is best to go snorkeling in July or August? I'm taking my 11 year old daughter so have to fit in with summer hols.
My criteria would be:

a) good weather (eg no hurricanes or monsoon, and not too hot, ie much above 30 deg)
b) good visibility and calm waters
c) good diversity/abundance of fish/turtles etc
d) able to snorkel from the shore rather than off boats, although happy to go out on boats as well!

We'd also like to do some diving, but I assume this would be less affected by climate?

I learnt to dive in Wakatobi in Indonesia so think I've been a little spoilt! Am still hoping there will be some really good spots out there. Got excited looking at places around Mexico but think July/Aug is hurricane season?

Thanks very much for you thoughts!
:blinking:

hi, this looks like a fantastic place to ask my burning question, so thanks in advance for any replies! :blinking:

Where is best to go snorkeling in July or August? I'm taking my 11 year old daughter so have to fit in with summer hols.
My criteria would be:

a) good weather (eg no hurricanes or monsoon, and not too hot, ie much above 30 deg)
b) good visibility and calm waters
c) good diversity/abundance of fish/turtles etc
d) able to snorkel from the shore rather than off boats, although happy to go out on boats as well!

We'd also like to do some diving, but I assume this would be less affected by climate?

I learnt to dive in Wakatobi in Indonesia so think I've been a little spoilt! Am still hoping there will be some really good spots out there. Got excited looking at places around Mexico but think July/Aug is hurricane season?

Thanks very much for you thoughts!
:blinking:

South Florida's great. hurricane season starts June 1, but we rarely rarely rarely see storms early in the season. Palm Beach and Broward County both have a TON of shallow beach dive sites.
Turtle season is from March to October. There's beach dives i've done where I've seen 10 turtles on one tank!
this season the water averaged 84-86 degrees.

SFL gets my vote!

Check Aruba; fits all your criteria, and IMO, way underrated ... Feel free to shoot me a PM, if you want more info.

Here's a place to start: The Best Snorkeling in Caribbean | Frommers

I'd add that in addition to the USVI options listed, it's an hour ferry ride to the British Virgin Islands. The Baths are a famous snorkel destination. DiveBVI runs a snorkel only excursion over to Anegada since the snorkeling is so good there - it's the 3rd largest barrier reef in the Caribbean. There's also good snorkeling near most of the smaller islands south of Virgin Gorda - need a boat for that. Diving is very good to excellent.

Or Curacao. Easy beach entries and during a week of diving we also found excellent snorkeling. Playa Jeremi gets mentioned in several "best of" lists - there's orange cup corals offshore along the cliffs in water you can stand up in. We also saw turtles in 6' of water off the beach at Varsenbaai and one of the famous dive sites - the Tugboat - is a better snorkel - the boat is 14' deep. At Nos Kas we chased flounder around in the shallows during our SI and at the old Sunset Waters Beach there's a breakwater that makes a natural cove to snorkel in - it doesn't get any deeper than about 6' and must be 100 yds or more across. Just outside of it is a decent dive. www.curacao.com

Bonaire would have equally good snorkeling in some areas but outside of the resorts, entries there are much more difficult. For diving it's suggested to wear good treaded boots as there's ironshore and coral rubble both on and just off the beach at many of the sites. If you snorkel in full foot fins, that wouldn't work there. www.infobonaire.com

Bari Reef (most counted species of fish in the Caribbean) would be a good snorkel. There's remnants of an old pier there - found a Batfish hiding in the debris. Windsock Beach is mentioned as a good snorkel site, it's about the easiest shore entry there is on Bonaire. And there's good snorkeling just off Klein Bonaire across the channel. One dive there we moored off the beach and there were turtles hiding in the rocks at the mooring - about 20' or less as I swam in towards the beach filming them. Divers returning from there often see/snorkel with wild dolphins in the channel - we met a group coming back one morning that just had.

It's all very low current there and Aruba (see above) Bonaire and Curacao are below the hurricane belt so generally unaffected. Most days on either island it was flat calm. We were on Bonaire in July and Curacao in May.

I don't know Aruba but Bonaire and Curacao are desert islands so might be too hot for you. I would guess in the sun it was close to 100o on Bonaire the 1st week of July. The USVI's/BVI's have a constant breeze so it's much cooler - our upscale villa didn't even have A/C.

Last option might be Grand Cayman. The turtle is their national symbol. At Turtle Reef near the Turtle Farm, they frequently get out and live there. It's a little deep to snorkel but an excellent shallow dive. Nearby at Lighthouse Pt. the reef starts in less than 6' of water. Also Cemetery Beach is a better snorkel than dive, Smiths Cove south of Georgetown is another. Google Testudo's Snorkel guide to Grand Cayman for other options. Wall diving there is among the best I've done. The snorkel mentioned in the article is Stingray City - we had a family do that on our dive. Most snorkeling with the rays is done in big groups at Sandbar nearby where you can stand up - IMO it's not as good. Cayman is very expensive also.

hth,

Last edited:
Below the Hurricane belt and away from the crowds, St.Vincent is un-found, pristine and as amazing as any ocean can be. Very little human traffic so reefs are thriving. Easy to reach right from the beaches all down the leeward side. Tobago Keys are an easy day trip and famous for swimming with turtles and there is a turtle sanctuary in the Grenadines as well. The bays around St.Vincent are notoriously clear, calm and in the late summer the waters generally turn to glass as the storms suck all the energy north. If you have dove in Indonesia you won't be happy with Mexico, too much traffic. St.Vincent also has a 3-1 exchange rate in your favor & one of the lowest crime rates in the Caribbean.You can also climb a live volcano, hike in the rain-forests and bath under a tropical waterfall. Visit our site for lots of pictures and info. about St.Vincent and contact us directly to find out how you can save when arranging and booking your flights.Welcome to Harmony Hall Resorts, St. Vincent | Your Caribbean Dream Vacation made affordable. You won't be disappointed.

thanks so much for your replies, its great to have specific coves etc described in so much detail!
You all seem to be saying the Caribbean basically - i just wondered if somewhere like belize might be any good as well?

thanks again :)

I live in St. Thomas. GREAT diving if you know where to go. Like diversteve said - we also have the ferry so trips to St. John and the BVI's are a short ride away. IMHO the best island hopping opportunities. $16 pp for a day trip to STJ. Great place to see sharks and all of our islands are littered with sea turtles and stingrays. Right now we have spotted eagle rays migrating through so they are EVERYWHERE, so beautiful. Island hopping is one reason why we moved here. Puerto Rico and Vieques and St. Croix are only a short 20 min (but pricy $180pp) plane ride away too. I am NOT soliciting the company I work for but here is a video completion of some of our dives from this summer - you can see we have a LOT of wildlife, mostly on the non-touristy North Side of STT. Check out our other videos too for more stuff that will give you a good idea of underwater life here. This month I was lucky enough to have a 30 min wild dolphin encounter on a boat trip with some customers. He played with us blowing bubbles and doing headstands. It was awesome.

[video=youtube_share;A4ThDcKRKds]http://youtu.be/A4ThDcKRKds[/video]

All our vids - St. Thomas Scuba and Snorkel Adventures - YouTube

We even were reviewed by National Geographic Traveler for our Night Snorkel adventure where we snorkel in the biolumenesence and see all the night time creatures. I usually lead those tours and we see anything from nurse sharks to rays to my fav little carib. blue octopus and I always hand catch a lobster for everyone to see up close and touch, its a blast. We also have a group of tarpon that like to follow us around as our lights attract a ton of odd planktonic creature and blue fry baitfish. You can check out my photos if you want to - Silver Squid ~ Adrian Poe

In the BVI's the Indians are really amazing and vis is always at at least 100ft. There are some cool lava tubes that you can snorkel and free dive through. 7ft round elk horns, black durgon, creole wrasses, eels, rays and just tons of life... it pretty stunning - We do have a secret spot here on STT that is better than Belize - Honduras and Cayman diving from my experience - snorkeling or diving. Its TEEMING with life. Its a boat trip and I don't think anyone else knows about it as we never see anyone there. Shhhhh :wink:

No passports needed for STT STX and STJ. Passport needed if you want to go to the BVIs. June 1st is start of hurricane season so thats something to consider. It is a bit of a gamble I guess. No action this year, HAPPY TO REPORT! YEA!

No passports needed for STT STX and STJ. Passport needed if you want to go to the BVIs.
Likely it's the other way around for the OP - she's from Wales. :D

Back
Top Bottom