Sad news in today's New York Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So sad...I admire what free divers do, but would not like to try it myself.

Sorry that he died. I would expect as they go deeper and deeper we will see more and more of these. Seems sort of like Russian roulette to me. If I make it with only a blackout and blood dripping, I will try it again the next day but deeper.

But to each their own.

I kinda agree with you Steve in that he should have been sidelined for a better evaluation. But then again this is Monday QBing. I really don't see any more deaths than in the past. 1 death in 21 years of the compition...I'll take those odds any day.

Although it is sad to read of such incidents, I think one has to be realistic about the dangers in that "sport." As for me, I'll continue to SCUBA dive (usually at reasonable depths to get long bottom times for filming).

Obviously this is pretty risky stuff. While I respect everyone's right to challenge themselves and push their own personal limits, I can't help but feel that these types of activities are perhaps just too dangerous, unnecessary, and maybe even foolish.

My condolences to his family and loved ones - very sad!

Last edited:
sorry to hear such tragic news.

I kinda agree with you Steve in that he should have been sidelined for a better evaluation. But then again this is Monday QBing. I really don't see any more deaths than in the past. 1 death in 21 years of the compition...I'll take those odds any day.

That's one death during major competition. When you include practices, training, doing it for fun, the number of free diving deaths is much higher. Estimates vary but are around 30 dead a year if you include spearfishing and related activities.

Back
Top Bottom