Full face snorkeling mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting....but it is in the direction of a typal degeneration of our species....it gets the dumb, the sick, the poorly coordinated, into an environment that clearly is too much for them. Diving already has too many "never-evers" involved and "at-risk" for catastrophic problems that would not even be issues for people of just "average" potential for diving.
I think basic snorkel skills can be a good first test to determine if a person has what it takes to go on in diving. If they can't do this, then maybe a submarine ride is closer to their real potential.

Dangerous. Very dangerous. It's been tried before, back in the 60s, and was a complete failure. Masks can flood for reasons other than water coming in from the top of the snorkel. Water can come in from around the mask seal if the mask is even partially dislodged. Lots of water. Fast.

You then have a mask full of water on a probably panicked swimmer, who will be able to breath only by removing the mask completely. The result will likely be catastrophic. A plain traditional snorkel full of water can be effortlessly removed from the mouth, even if the user is unable to just blow it clear.

Anything that closes off a submerged snorkel is prone to failure. If that snorkel is the only access point for air, and is part of some idiotically complex device that encloses the entire face, you have what is in essence a choking machine. A very, very bad idea.

As Agilis mentions, there is a real probability that at some point, this new full face snorkel will get kicked by another diver and flood, or have some other tragic event cause a large leak--or perhaps the one way valve in the snorkel will fail---pretty much any decent scuba diver, and 100% of all free divers, could deal with these issues without more than annoyance.....BUT...put someone prone to near phobic panic with normal snorkel problems that prevent their comfortable snorkeling---and you have this phobic and unreasoning person panicking with the full face mask snorkel system, and potentially drowning if an instructor is not right next to them to SAVE them....
Again, the people that would be put in these masks, would need handholding by an instructor--they might as well go with snuba -- or the raft with the viewing port for the cost of a pony ride.

Yeah, getting a mask dislodged will never happen.
Before I put my daughter in a scuba kit, I did with her what my dad did with me. Made certain she could breath from the snorkel without a mask.
Mask clearing drills are so important.

Well, I certainly don't think any piece of equipment is a substitute for having a reasonable comfort in the water and common sense, whether you are diving or casually snorkeling.

I don't think this mask is worthy of alarm bells, personally. A waste of money? Yeah, most likely. Will it be a top seller? I doubt it. A death trap? Probably no more "dangerous" than split fins :wink: That is, of course, my two cents.

It will allegedly go on sale in Europe in Spring of this year. I'm sure it will end up being just another gimmicky idea that will never get off the ground anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom